Monday, August 22, 2005

2005

So I'm hoping this is the year.

I say hoping, because my legs are acting up again. I've been building up the milage over the last couple of months, and I'm starting to feel it. It doesn't hurt so much when I run, but the rest of the time when I'm walking, I can really feel my shins. They're also somewhat tender to touch at times. Bascially, I have the classic anterior or medial shin splints.

Ok, I know I'm supposed to stop. Well I did that last year, and it didn't help. So for now, I'm going to keep on trying. I do try to ice my shins after running, and I take days off when it's really bad. I also got new cushioned shoes (Asics Gel Nimbus VII for those who care), and I'm careful not to run on hard surfaces like concrete (sidewalk).

So we'll see what happens. For now I'm going to keep building up the milage slowly and see how far I can go. I'm scheduled to run a half marathon in the park this coming Sunday. Hopefully, that will give me a sense of how things are going.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

do they have any marathons in the half to one mile range?

Tuesday, August 23, 2005  
Blogger Danny said...

lol...

Just so you know, there is a one mile race put on by the New York Road Runners Club.

It's called the Continental Airlines Fifth Avenue Mile.

However, the 5K (3.1M) is usually the smallest race out there. It requires a little training, but is quite fun. I was hooked after my first such race!

Tuesday, August 23, 2005  
Blogger Cris said...

Danny, perhaps you should see a doctor? A little physical therapy could probaby clear your shin splints right up...

Wednesday, August 24, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home