Monday, November 14, 2005

Pictures

Ok. These are the pictures that are available from brightroom:






(let's call them 1 to 5, in order of appearance.)

I've also found Jim Rhoades' site. Apparently, he's a runner, and photography is a hobby for him. He seems to have taken a picture every 2 seconds for the entire marathon. After a lot of searching, I found myself in his collection. This picture is taken at mile 23. Unfortunately, there are shadows in my face, but otherwise it's a pretty good picture. I've included the original, as well as a cropped version.



(let's call these A and B.)

So here's the deal. As I've mentioned before, I've ordered a bib frame, which has a space for a 5x7 picture. Besides for that picture, I'm not sure if I have any use for any other actual prints. I'm happy to have the digital images above that I captured, but I don't think I need the higher quality images.

The brightroom pictures are obviously expensive. I can buy one 5x7 print for $21. If I want to make multiple copies of it, I can buy the single digital file for $55. (Can you believe that?) Finally, if I want all the pictures, I can get a CD with all of the digital files for $81. On the other hand, the high resolution digital file for the bottom picture(s) has already been sent to me for free, courtesy of Jim Rhoades. (Thank you!)

I know everyone says this is a once in a lifetime event, and it's worth it, yada yada yada. Well, as you can see in my previous post, I've certainly spent a lot of money on this endeavour. But I don't want to just throw money away for no reason.

So a couple of questions:

1) To those of you who have done this before. Is it worth getting all those pictures? Besides putting one on the wall, do you need all the others? What do you do with them? (I have great pictures from a trip to Europe that nobody ever looks at. I can't imagine showing these marathon pictures to anybody ever.)

2) Assuming I get just one picture, which one? I like number 2, which others seemed to agree with last time. (I was kind of "cheering" for myself, and it left me with a funny facial expression I'm not wild about.) A finishing line picture would be nice, but I kind of get lost in the crowd. The frame's empty slot is only for a portrait (vertically) oriented picture. So I'd have to get number 4, and I'm not sure you can even tell it's me.

3) Should I even buy a picture? What do you think of number B? The shadowing is annoying, but it's obviously me, and not a bad shot. I think it might look good up on the wall.

Let me know what you think.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i would buy atleast one official one. i like the one of you all pumped up (upper right in the quadrant).

i found a pic jim rhodes took of me once in a race up in boston-and you're right, it IS really nice of him!

Monday, November 14, 2005  
Blogger brent said...

yeah those seem expensive but why not get at least one?

Monday, November 14, 2005  
Blogger Danny said...

I just meant that I could use the one from Jim Rhoades (number B). I can make a print of that one for free.

I'll probably go with #2 (pumped up) anyway. Just curious to see what everyone else thinks.

Monday, November 14, 2005  
Blogger Tiggs said...

Yeh, def buy one official one. My vote is for #2 :)

Monday, November 14, 2005  
Blogger Lara said...

I haven't had a chance to be around much lately so first of all I want to say congratulations on an awesome accomplishment!! Being on the cusp of training for my first marathon, I read every bit with great interest!

I'm definately a picture lover but they can get expensive! When I ran my first 15K, I sprung for a single digital pic for like 40 bucks. I was then able to post it, send it electronically to friends & family, and print it. I too am partial to #2. Show us a picture of the frame with bib and photo when you finish it - that's gonna look great!!

Tuesday, November 15, 2005  
Blogger Nic said...

Let me just say how lucky you are to have good official running photos. I always look like such a tool in the pictures they take! So, I never buy the official pics. Yes, I'm a little vain... Ha! Actually, my dad normally takes pictures of me at races. Not since I moved to SF, but he said he'd fly out here for my next race so I'm not alone at the finish line. So I'm vain and a Daddy's girl... Self discovery on someone else's blog for a change.

Anyway, #2 all the way!

Tuesday, November 15, 2005  
Blogger tryathlete said...

I would pick number 2 as well.

Wednesday, November 16, 2005  
Blogger Nancy Toby said...

I like the medal photo. You look happy and triumphant, just as you should.

You know, some people make shadow boxes out of all their memorabilia from particularly significant races, too!! Indulge yourself. It's a big milestone!!

Wednesday, November 16, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brightroom is mind boggling expensive. I would just skip their photos as a matter of principal.

Sunday, December 11, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home