Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Onwards

As I move on from the marathon, I realize I've never really analyzed my performance. I guess I should do that some time - but not now. Suffice it to day that I was very pleased, but I've also realized how much potential I have. I once thought I didn't have it in me to qualify for Boston. Now I know I can - but it would take a lot of work. (Quite frankly, I'm not sure I'm all that interested in putting in that work. But knowing it's within my potential is kind of cool in itself.)

Before I do move on though, I really want to say thank you for all the supportive comments in the last few weeks. For some reason, ever since the new Blogger came out, I don't get most of your email addresses forwarded to me when you comment. So even though I don't respond, I do want you to know that it means a lot to me. I was fortunate enough to have a lot of "real life" friends who were supportive during the marathon experience. However, they're not really along for the whole training period, and many of them don't really "get" it. So thank you for being there.

Anyway, I was back out there tonight putting in a few miles. I did two of them at tempo speed. I didn't really pace myself, I just ran hard, but definitely comfortable. As per Garmin when I got home, those miles were at 7:42 pace.


I don't really mean to brag, but wow! Last marathon it took months for me to run 2 miles, and here I am a week later running them at this speed. As I said above, I am just starting to get a sense of my potential.

In terms of future goals, I haven't yet come up with a new race to train for. (Although I'm kicking a few around my head already.) For now, my next goal is to hit 1000 miles for the year. (See David's blog, who posted the same goal recently.) I've been realizing over the last few months, that 1000 miles for the year will be in my grasp. I've always been jealous of those people that hit the "4 digit mark" for the year, and I've never even been close. It shouldn't be hard for me to reach it, but it will give me some motivation to get out the door, and not to totally slack off. Check the "Training Log" section in my sidebar to check up on my progress...

3 Comments:

Blogger David H. said...

I have a lot of the same things going on in my head that you have in yours. I haven't mentioned the "B" word yet, but it's there. I'm focused on the 1,000 mile mark first before looking ahead to '08, but it's hard not to!

Wednesday, November 14, 2007  
Blogger David H. said...

And thanks for the extra link to my blog!

Wednesday, November 14, 2007  
Blogger Darrell said...

Nice run, heh?

Turning that potential into reality takes some soul searching and a lot of hard work. Keep up the good work.

Thursday, November 15, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home