Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Making plans (but not for today!)

I got 4 miles in yesterday evening. I thought the heat would be terrible, but it was actually pretty nice. It felt good out there.

I was planning on running this morning, but my legs were kind of hurting, and I was a little tired in the morning. Ok, I was a little tired in the morning. But my legs do bother me, and I've run the last two days. I think I'll take today off, and run something like 6 miles tomorrow, and maybe 2 on Friday. Saturday is off like usual, and then Sunday's the Manhattan half in Central Park.

I'm not sure why I feel the need to share my schedule with you. I'm hoping that by putting it in writing I'll be forced to stick to it. (If I had written yesterday that I was going to run this morning, would I still have been too tired??)

Let's see what happens.

3 Comments:

Blogger Cris said...

Danny, how very very exciting! Training for the first marathon is a great experience; I'm rooting for you.

One suggestion; BIG suggestion. Put together a solid training schedule TODAY and stick with it from now on. Judging from your entries and your posted run calendar, your runs are spotty with not much pattern. To answer your question about "would I have done today's run if I had written about it yesterday" -- YES! You probably would have; training schedules tend to become the authoritative voice many of us need on the low days to suck it up and make the run.

I used the training schedule in The Non-Runner's Marathon Trainer, and it worked quite well. You can ask around or whatnot, but make sure to set a schedule for the rest of your training before the marathon.

Good luck and keep on writing; it's exciting to read your experience

Wednesday, August 24, 2005  
Blogger jeanne said...

Hey, thanks for leaving a comment on my blog!

I agree with brooklyn: find a schedule and just follow it. Since i'm training with a group I don't have to think about it at all. I just show up and they point and tell me what to do. I love the Schedule and am terrified to not follow it!

and good luck! It's fun reading someone trying to do the same thing and matching progress!

Wednesday, August 24, 2005  
Blogger Danny said...

Hey guys, thanks for the comments.

I think I've been scared of setting a rigid schedule, because my work schedule has always been crazy. Actually right now, I'm between jobs. But in recent years, as a surgical resident, my schedule was always up in the air. I didn't know what my call schedule would be the next month - making it difficult to have a schedule set up in advance.

My haphazard plan has worked to get me through two half-marathons. But I definitely recognize that the full thing is much harder.

What I've done on my calendar is plan for the long run. I think maybe the next step for me is to add to the plan the minimum weekly milage I need to achieve. That should give my schedule a little more discipline - while still leaving some wiggle room for late nights in the OR here and there.

Wednesday, August 24, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home