Friday, September 02, 2005

Depressed

Is it just not in the cards for me??

I just ran 4 miles, at a nice leisurely 10 min pace. And I felt each step. On both sides this time.

I've definitely been obsessing about every little pain, but I think I've been feeling it more lately. Yesterday when I was examining myself, there was a definite area of point tenderness on my left shin. But it was my right side that I was feeling twinges in when I walked. Hmm...

So after having yesterday off, I went for this nice easy run today. Maybe it's because I'm so focussed on these pains, but I really couldn't stop noticing them. They're not that bad, but they're there. And they remind me of how I felt last year, when I had to stop training. I am so upset I can't tell you...

I just can't believe it's going to happen again. I've been getting so good at ignoring all this that I really thought I was going to make it the last few days.

So now what? I'm off tomorrow anyway. For the next 24 hours or so I won't be running, blogging about running, or reading other people's blogs about running. Maybe that's a good thing.

I've increased the stretching I do, both in variation and in frequency. I'm going to continue to ice after running. Maybe I'll take some Motrin for the next few days as well.

(By the way, don't think I don't realize I'm going to get the whole "sports doctor" and "physical therapy" thing now. The truth is I'm in a bit of a weird health insurance situation right now. And by the time it's all straightened out, I won't have time for all that anyway. So in reality, if that's the only solution, I'm just going to stop running. It's not a threat, it's just me facing reality. And so my main hope is that some of my self directed therapy will be good enough to do the trick.)

I'me very down right now...

2 Comments:

Blogger Tracy said...

Taking a little break is a good idea. Go for a walk and get outside, get your mind off of it, and maybe you'll discover that there's something else that's really bothering you.

Believe that you can do this race... you can. You're supposed to go through this doubting time. If you didn't, you'd have nothing to conquer. And then where would your victory be?

Sunday, September 04, 2005  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Danny,
I went through the same thing, so don't fret. And I REALLY thought I wasn't going to make it. I was so upset about it and all I could do was think about how I was injured. But I am now a firm believer that you can come back from an injury and run if you cross train and stay as possitive as possible.

Getting injured may have been the best thing that happened to me because as Wil so eloquently put it, it makes you want it more than you even imagined.

Ice, elevation and IB Profin will do wonders too.

Sunday, September 04, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home