Friday, August 26, 2005

I'm very nervous...

My legs have been hurting a little more than usual these past 24 hours or so. I think it's because I ran more than I wanted to yesterday, and because I ran on sidewalk for a good portion of it. (See yesterday's post.) I almost didn't run today, but I had planned to do 2 miles, and I figured that it wasn't that much anyway. Well I have to say that by the end of the 2 miles it wasn't bad, but those early steps are starting to scare me.

To paraphrase from somewhere I can't remember, I'm not afraid of the pain, I'm afraid that it will continue to worsen and force me to stop training. That's what happened last year and I was really depressed over it.

I'm going to take tomorrow off, and then Sunday I'm scheduled for the Manhattan Half. Hopefully that will go okay. I think how I feel afterward will really give me a sense of what to expect in the near future.

That was my pessimistic side talking...

On the optimistic side, I've added to my training plan. Brooklyn's comments have made me realize that I need to be more disciplined in my training. Rather than really commit to a specific daily schedule, I've added the minimum weekly milage I expect to run each week. With work likely to get busier in the weeks to come, I'm assuming I'll be running that milage in 4 days. I'd appreciate any input on my plan. (Maybe I was being a little easy on myself with the total milage...)

That's it for now. Wish me luck for Sunday!

3 Comments:

Blogger Cris said...

Okay, I think you have a good start here. Certainly the plan for the long runs should get you there.

I encourage you to go ahead and fill in day-specific scheduling. Seems to me you like to run M,W,F for the most part, with one run on either Saturday or Sunday. I know life has a way of shifting our runs a day forward or backward, but believe it or not, having a set schedule will help prevent that from happening and will make your running a lot more predictable, as well as help you figure out what's causing your pain.

Also, pick one particular day of the week (or the weekend) to do the long run and keep it the same every time. I suggest Sunday, because that's when you'll be running the Marathon, but whatever you pick...consistency is the key to doing half-marathons and beyond every weekend.

Work and family and battling the cockroaches CANNOT be allowed to interfere with your training. Some blips will happen, sure... but without a day-by-day plan for the rest of your...what eight weeks... you will find it harder and harder to get in the needed runs. People around you need to know that now you are a MARATHONER-IN-TRAINING and that your new master - over and above the boss, the wife, and the dog - is your schedule.

Don't worry, you won't be a slave to the schedule; but having it there "in stone" will help you prevent the things that are contributing to your (up 'til now) sporadic, jumpy training.

Also, be sure to start blogging your pain more specifically.... I want to see you finish this marathon. I want to SEE you when you're running it! (You'll be going by my house.) You need to find out if the pain you're experiencing is the kind you should seek medical attention for; because if it is... you must get that help now now now.

And don't be so nervous; go for a run, it burns off nervous energy. ;)

Friday, August 26, 2005  
Blogger Running Chick said...

GOOD LUCK!!

Saturday, August 27, 2005  
Blogger Danny said...

Thanks for the comments.

I happen to be a doctor myself, and I've read a lot about shin splints, stress fractures, etc. One of things they taught in my medical school was how to learn about things on your own. So while I may not have a lot of experience with these kinds of problems, I still know quite a bit about them.

I'm pretty sure that I'll be told to stop running for a while. (Maybe they'll try and sell me orthotics too!) And I probably should. My only problem is that I did that for a while. Like 4 to 6 months or something. I used the elliptical. I took off like 15 or 20 pounds before starting up running again. It was pretty good at the beginning. But when I started to ramp up the milage the shins started to hurt again.

So should i just give up on my marathon hopes forever? Maybe. But I'm not ready to do that just yet. I'll keep trying for now and see how far I can go. I have often thought that even if I succeed, I may not be able to repeat the feat. But I'd like to try it once. I really want to do it.

Saturday, August 27, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home