Monday, August 29, 2005

The day after

I'm still a little sore, but really not bad at all. I actually felt like going out for a short run today, but then decided that it was probably not in my best interest. So I took the day off. I'll do some weights today, which is not exactly cross training, but will have to do.

In other news I've noticed that my schedule is pretty similar to Hal Higdon's novice plan. If you consider that this week is "week 9", both our plans had a half marathon this past weekend. The difference is that my plan calls for a gradual build up to longer runs, whereas his has a faster jump to longer runs, with some weeks in between where you step back a bit. The weekly milage also built up quicker, even though it also peaked at 40 miles.

Considering his experience, and considering my experience, I think I'll try to adapt my plan to his schedule. I don't run on Saturday, so I'll do my long run on Sunday. (I'm only working per diem now. I haven't figured out what I'm going to do when I go back to full time work and I'm on call Sundays.) My weekday runs will depend on work, but I'll shoot for Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday.

I'm really getting excited...

4 Comments:

Blogger Cris said...

It's called zero:dark-thirty and it's that time between 4 a.m. and 9 a.m. when you can get your run and shower done. ;)

Monday, August 29, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

just had to congratulate you (on your site in the form of a comment) on your excellent linkage in the post "the day after" to the clip from the movie 'the big lebowski.' totally unexpected, yet a pleasant surprise.

Monday, August 29, 2005  
Blogger About Me: said...

good idea on not upping mileage so fast. i sometimes wonder what experts are thinking. i mean, im slated for 12 miler already, three weeks into my training. i'm only doing 9. but come on, expert trainers, we (wait, i'll speak for myself), i mean, I am NOT an ultra marathoner!

Monday, August 29, 2005  
Blogger Brad said...

Something to remember about a lot of these training programs is that they assume you have been running for at least a year and have been running about 10-15 miles a week for the past few months.
And...they never seem to agree on the longest long run before a marathon (18, 20, 26, and I've even heard 30!)
Keep up the good work!

Tuesday, August 30, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home