Wednesday, September 07, 2005

On the road again...

Since I posted the Rundown yesterday, there's been a slight bump in traffic to the blog. However, since most of that traffic is being directed straight to the Rundown, and since this post is "above" it, I feel like this is a kind of secret post to my previous readers. ;-)

That being said, I'm sure the suspense is killing you? What is going on with Danny's shins? (Ok, I'm not that crazy. But allow me to humor myself with the thought that all your lives are hanging on whether I go back to running or not.)

The thought of having my blog all of a sudden get popular, and then having to drop out was depressing. (I really feel for Jonathan, who had this happen to him.) So after giving myself 4 days of rest, and really stretching a lot, I laced up the old sneakers again. I was pretty nervous, but it was really good to get out there again.

After a little warmup, and some more stretching, I set out at a nice and easy pace. I felt a little rusty from my 4 days off (isn't that crazy!), but I was enjoying the run. Unfortunately, I'm so tuned in to every little twinge I feel. I could feel little aches here, and tightness there. However, the problem area on my right shin didn't seem any worse while running, so I kept going.

After 2 miles, I felt a little tight. Since I run a two mile loop (1 mile out and 1 mile back), this seemed like a good place to stop and stretch again. Once I stopped, though, I could really feel the muscles in my anterior shin swelling or something. It wasn't the bone bothering me, it was my muscles. I took a page out of Jeff's book, and gave them a little rubdown. After a few minutes, it really felt better. (Cool!) So I went out for another 2 mile loop, and felt kind of okay.

So there, you go. I'm back in the game. My shin hurt a little, but really no more than usual. I did feel all sorts of other pains, but I'm thinking that's from being off so long. Also, you kow how when you get a needle, it hurts less if you're not looking at it? Well, I can't get my mind off my legs. The entire run, I'm constantly obsessing over every little thing I feel. Is that okay? What about that one? Should I stop? ("will I DIE???") If I could just get my mind off it for a little, I think I'd feel much better. I hope to be able to do that soon.

Tomorrow, I'm scheduled for a massage at a massage therapy school. I've never been there before, but I'm planning to let them know about this whole shin splint deal. Maybe they should spend the entire time on my legs? In any case, this is my first real massage, so I'll let you know if it helps.

7 Comments:

Blogger Hutch said...

That massage is going to be great. You may find yourself going back for more. Good luck.

Thursday, September 08, 2005  
Blogger :) said...

Ooooh...massage = good.

Thursday, September 08, 2005  
Blogger brent said...

chi running essentially cured all of my shin pains, like a miracle. i had bad pains in weeks 5 and 6 of my training. its a little goofy (some of the chi stuff), but i was able to take away some basic principles that seem to help my shins out. good luck!

Thursday, September 08, 2005  
Blogger brent said...

oh i should mention that i went to a sports doctor and tried a lot of the strength exercises etc but the chi stuff really helped the most. however i think every body reacts different to different stuff.

Thursday, September 08, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do you see why they need sports psychologists??? It's great to be in tune with your body but whenever I'm coming back from an injury I spend ALL day evaluating how my legs feel on the stairs, walking, while sitting, etc. I drive myself crazy!!!! I can definitely see how the first run back would stress you out as you try to figure out if something hurts or not :) Anyway, I hope you heal up soon. Keep us posted. And it's great you've got the inside track (no pun intended) to the sports doc. Good rundown too.

Thursday, September 08, 2005  
Blogger jeanne said...

Oh this is encouraging me!!! Only four days and maybe I can run again too!!
and yeah: what audrey said. me too. only x10.

Thursday, September 08, 2005  
Blogger Dawn - Pink Chick Tris said...

Definitely see a sports doc. I've heard too many stories about other docs, heh even my own doc said no to something, I got a second opinion. Twas a good idea.

When I first got back into running, I went to a "Sports" type clinic and got accessed by a chriopractor. He gave me some great tips on shoes, form/gait, etc that really made a difference in staying mostly injury free.

Good luck with it and enjoy the massage. They are always good, injured or not.

Saturday, September 10, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home