Wednesday, November 16, 2005

What's up with my knee?

I did make it out for my planned 2 miles yesterday. I felt better than the last time, and was able to stretch pretty normally. However, I did start feeling my right knee bothering me towards the end of the run. I finished up the run, but found myself limping afterwards. It hurt right behind the kneecap, in a place that never bothered me before. It bothered me most of the race of the day, but got better as time went on. This morning it feels fine.

It's weird. Before the marathon I worried about my shins. During the marathon my quads were a problem, and my shins didn't bother me at all. Now out of nowhere my knee hurts! I'm a bit nervous because I never had real joint pain before. I've also heard of horror stories of people killing their knees from running a marathon. Since I didn't really have any knee pain during the race it's hard to believe I did something so bad to it. I'm thinking it's more to do with how the rest of my muscles are working in their tired and shortened states. So I'm not panicking yet, but it is in the back of my mind.

Thanks for the votes on the pictures. I like #2 as well, and I'm going with it. Interestingly, my mom (who reads but doesn't comment) put in a request for #B. (I think she figures she has enough pictures of me, but that one actually looks like I'm in a race.)

I'm supposed to meet Brent and Rachel later today. I asked them to wear their Batman and Darth Vader outfits so I can recognize them. They agreed, but only if I'd wear my race shirt with my name on it. (Somehow, wearing that on race day was cool. Walking around with it today in Times Square: not so cool.) Hopefully, the weather will hold out for them and they can have a good experience here in NYC.

5 Comments:

Blogger LeahC said...

I had that same problem after my race. I don't know what deal was with it either, but I thought that since the muscles in my legs were very tight it was causing some kind of problem behind my knee...I don't know though, it did go away if it makes you feel better.

Wednesday, November 16, 2005  
Blogger R.E.M. Borja said...

You really should take it easy for a month after your marathon. Your legs and muscles might feel fine, but 26.2 miles takes its toll on your joints and they take longer to recover. That doesn't mean not running, but instead take it slower than you usually run. Walk even.

Wednesday, November 16, 2005  
Blogger ShoreTurtle said...

Hope that you have fun meeting with Rachel and Brent!

Wednesday, November 16, 2005  
Blogger Scott in Washington said...

Yeah, I wouldn't wear that shirt out in public for anything but a race. Just out walking around, it says, "Special Needs."

Thursday, November 17, 2005  
Blogger BuckeyeRunner said...

Nice blog! Cool marathon pics - congrats! I feel your pain about the knee issues. I have had knee pain for a few years now, and in my last couple of marathons, wore knee braces. I had a doctor look at it, but he just suggested knee strengthening exercises, glucosamine, and no marathons. YEAH RIGHT!!

Friday, November 18, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home