Sunday, March 18, 2007

Somebody make this snow go away!

14 miles today. (Actually, I had 12 on the schedule, but didn't bother to look at that until I was done. I think I'll make a new schedule.)



My running has really been slacking lately because of the weather. Looking back it seems like I've been getting one run in during the week, and then one on Sunday. This week I ran 5 miles on Monday. I was all geared up to run again on Friday, and then (seemingly) out of the blue, there was a blizzard. It was really too much to go out for a run that wasn't absolutely necessary.

So anyway, today I had to run. Unfortunately, the roads and paths were still covered with snow and ice. I had thought about going into the city to run in the park, where it might have been better. But I was on call this weekend, and by the time I was done with rounds, I just wanted to get the run in. So out I went on my usual path.

Torture. The first 4.75 miles were 80% on snow and ice. When the snow/ice was firm it wasn't bad, but when it was soft, I'd sink in a little, and it was really tough. Needless to say, I was not going fast.

After that, I was off the path and into a neighborhood in Westchester. Usually I turn around here, but the roads were clean and relatively empty, so I took advantage. I basically circled the neighborhood over and over until I had another 5 miles in. Then I ran the 4.25 miles back on the snow and ice.



I stopped a couple of times to stretch, eat, drink, and do other activities. I'll have to do some continuous runs at some point, but today wasn't that day.

The next couple of days are supposed to be slightly warmer, with some rain. Later in the week it gets back to the 50's. So I'm really hoping we're done with this weather for good. I mean seriously, Spring officially starts this week!

3 Comments:

Blogger Darrell said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

Sunday, March 18, 2007  
Blogger Darrell said...

I don't see any snow or ice on the map. (just kidding)

Who said wandering ailessly was a waste of time?

Sunday, March 18, 2007  
Blogger peter said...

Spring is here! Celebrate. My brother lives in Queens, he hasn't been able to run, practically, all winter.

Tuesday, March 20, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home