Sunday, September 11, 2005

Cleveland Rocks!

Well, I'm not so sure that it rocks, but how can I go to Cleveland and not have that as the title?? I had a very nice time this past weekend. Reunited with my family, and spent time with my 3 nephews. I also saw the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. For a music fan like me, it was pretty cool.

Friday I woke up at 4:30 to get my run in before leaving for the airport. I know this is an hour later than Wil gets up, but somehow I was still expecting some sort of medal. Of course when I got out to the running path, there were a couple of people there already. So no medal for me. Anyway, I got in 4 miles. Didn't feel great, but it wasn't horrible. By 6:15 I was off to the airport.

Friday afternoon I saw my brother's father-in-law, who is also an orthopedic surgeon. He took a look at my feet and thought I'd do better with different inserts in my shoes - which he was nice enough to bring with him. (For those that are interested, they're made out of plastazole, and they have a little more support in the arch.) He brought 2 pairs, one of which I put in my dress shoes. They did seem to support me better, and walking didn't bother me as much. I did still feel some pain, and when I mentioned this to him on Saturday, he basically said to take it easy when I run. (And if it hurts too much, I shouldn't run.) Standard stuff...

So this morning I had planned all sorts of interesting runs in Cleveland, but instead I decided to run on the treadmill. My brother's treadmill seemed to have a lot of "give" in it, so I figured for my "long" run this morning I would be better off on the treadmill.

My plan was for 8 miles, if I wasn't in too much pain. When I first started, I was still feeling my shins. I was really pretty down at that point, thinking that this marathon "hobby" of mine was going to come to an end. I thought I'd have to stop. But then with a little more time, it got easier and bothered me less. I was able to finish the 8 miles without too much difficulty. Lots of stretching and icing afterwards, but all in all, I didn't feel too bad for the rest of the day. Maybe the insoles helped. I have to give them a little more time.

For this week I'm going to continue to take it easy. Although if I want to make it to this marathon I have to get my long runs up there eventually. I'm thinking of 12 miles for next Sunday, but let's see how the next 6 days go.

5 Comments:

Blogger Hutch said...

Danny, Hope the inserts work well for you. I find that no matter how early you get up someone always beats you to the track / trail. I wonder sometimes what time these people get up! 3 AM ? Have a great day. Mine certainly started off well this morning.

Monday, September 12, 2005  
Blogger ShoreTurtle said...

The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is great! The day that I went happened to be the same day as a Browns home game. We felt a little out of place amongst all the tailgaters. I think some of them suspected that I was a Steelers fan. Good luck with the training.

Monday, September 12, 2005  
Blogger jeanne said...

Good news on the inserts. They can take a little time getting used to, so do take it easy. And since I cannot do math, I can't tell whether 12 miles is 10% more than 8 miles (yes, I know i'm an idiot), but if it is, you should reconsider. Never add more than 10% per week.
--dr. jeanne (not)

Monday, September 12, 2005  
Blogger Danny said...

These inserts are pretty soft; they're not like orthotics. They actually feel pretty good right from the start.

Regarding the 10% rule, I think I can go a little faster since I was already up that high before I took this (short) break. In fact, in my new and improved (?) schedule, which I should post soon, I won't surpass my half-marathon week's mileage for another 5 weeks. And immediately after that, I'll begin my taper.

(As you may have read in my coolrunning post, I did have to sacrifice one run in the week in order to keep my total mileage down. That's the only way I felt I could safely get in my long runs on time for the marathon.)

Tuesday, September 13, 2005  
Blogger jeanne said...

Ah, I see. It's all good then!

Tuesday, September 13, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home