Sunday, September 11, 2005

Cleveland Rocks!

Well, I'm not so sure that it rocks, but how can I go to Cleveland and not have that as the title?? I had a very nice time this past weekend. Reunited with my family, and spent time with my 3 nephews. I also saw the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. For a music fan like me, it was pretty cool.

Friday I woke up at 4:30 to get my run in before leaving for the airport. I know this is an hour later than Wil gets up, but somehow I was still expecting some sort of medal. Of course when I got out to the running path, there were a couple of people there already. So no medal for me. Anyway, I got in 4 miles. Didn't feel great, but it wasn't horrible. By 6:15 I was off to the airport.

Friday afternoon I saw my brother's father-in-law, who is also an orthopedic surgeon. He took a look at my feet and thought I'd do better with different inserts in my shoes - which he was nice enough to bring with him. (For those that are interested, they're made out of plastazole, and they have a little more support in the arch.) He brought 2 pairs, one of which I put in my dress shoes. They did seem to support me better, and walking didn't bother me as much. I did still feel some pain, and when I mentioned this to him on Saturday, he basically said to take it easy when I run. (And if it hurts too much, I shouldn't run.) Standard stuff...

So this morning I had planned all sorts of interesting runs in Cleveland, but instead I decided to run on the treadmill. My brother's treadmill seemed to have a lot of "give" in it, so I figured for my "long" run this morning I would be better off on the treadmill.

My plan was for 8 miles, if I wasn't in too much pain. When I first started, I was still feeling my shins. I was really pretty down at that point, thinking that this marathon "hobby" of mine was going to come to an end. I thought I'd have to stop. But then with a little more time, it got easier and bothered me less. I was able to finish the 8 miles without too much difficulty. Lots of stretching and icing afterwards, but all in all, I didn't feel too bad for the rest of the day. Maybe the insoles helped. I have to give them a little more time.

For this week I'm going to continue to take it easy. Although if I want to make it to this marathon I have to get my long runs up there eventually. I'm thinking of 12 miles for next Sunday, but let's see how the next 6 days go.

6 Comments:

Blogger Hutch said...

Danny, Hope the inserts work well for you. I find that no matter how early you get up someone always beats you to the track / trail. I wonder sometimes what time these people get up! 3 AM ? Have a great day. Mine certainly started off well this morning.

Monday, September 12, 2005  
Blogger ShoreTurtle said...

The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is great! The day that I went happened to be the same day as a Browns home game. We felt a little out of place amongst all the tailgaters. I think some of them suspected that I was a Steelers fan. Good luck with the training.

Monday, September 12, 2005  
Blogger jeanne said...

Good news on the inserts. They can take a little time getting used to, so do take it easy. And since I cannot do math, I can't tell whether 12 miles is 10% more than 8 miles (yes, I know i'm an idiot), but if it is, you should reconsider. Never add more than 10% per week.
--dr. jeanne (not)

Monday, September 12, 2005  
Blogger Danny said...

These inserts are pretty soft; they're not like orthotics. They actually feel pretty good right from the start.

Regarding the 10% rule, I think I can go a little faster since I was already up that high before I took this (short) break. In fact, in my new and improved (?) schedule, which I should post soon, I won't surpass my half-marathon week's mileage for another 5 weeks. And immediately after that, I'll begin my taper.

(As you may have read in my coolrunning post, I did have to sacrifice one run in the week in order to keep my total mileage down. That's the only way I felt I could safely get in my long runs on time for the marathon.)

Tuesday, September 13, 2005  
Blogger susie said...

I've discovered lots of aches and pains as my mileage has gone up, but they all seem to subside quickly. And I did need about two weeks of calf pain to get used to a heel lift prescribed by my PT last year (new muscles working in different ways.) Good luck!

Tuesday, September 13, 2005  
Blogger jeanne said...

Ah, I see. It's all good then!

Tuesday, September 13, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home