Sunday, November 20, 2005

2 is the new 26.2

Still not going well here...

I went out for another 2 mile attempt today. (Man, what a beautiful day for a long run or marathon today!) For the first mile and a half I didn't feel any pain, but it did seem tiring. I wasn't running fast - 10:30 pace. For the last half mile I could feel my knee bothering me again. I limped home afterwards, and I've been limping since. It's actually pretty depressing...

Yeah, yeah, you have to rest after a marathon. Well is it so unreasonable to expect to be able to run 2 slow easy miles 2 weeks after a marathon? I've only run 5 miles in the last 14 days, and they've all been at a slow and relaxed pace.

It's not just that it's tough to run. It's difficult to walk the rest of the day afterwards. I kind of swing my leg around without bending the knee too much. (It's a little more subtle than that, but that's the idea.) It's starting to make me question whether this all worth it. Okay, not the first one. It's definitely worth running a marathon. But is it worth running another one, if I have to go through this kind of problem afterwards? I'm not even sure how long this will last!

I'm just kind of annoyed. I'm still eating like I'm running 30 miles a week, but I'm running less than a tenth of that! This is a problem.

I'm currently not a member of a gym, because I did all my exercise out on the streets. I'm also probably moving soon, so I don't want to sign up at a gym around my house. Hopefully, I'll start my job shortly, and find a gym nearby to exercise in. I think some crosstraining would be a good idea now.

I miss enjoying this habit...

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

yeah....no secret. being hurt is super depressing. very super depressing. everything else can be going GREAT in your life and you feel horrible and unhappy b/c you can't run. it's a bit irrational and you're not alone in the feeling. sometimes i even wish i never discovered running b/c then i wouldn't be such a nutcase when i get hurt....but then i get better and realize all the resting, rehab, and agony of NOT running is all worth it. it's just waiting it out that's the problem.... i hope you feel better...

you should totally get a bike (i guess for the spring). and if you have a bathing suit you might be able to go to a local pool right now (i have to pay as I go anyway. local pools by you may not have a membership fee either.)

again, i hope it clears up soon.

Sunday, November 20, 2005  
Blogger Michelle said...

I hope it gets better soon too. If it helps at all, I've been to sick to run for the last 2 weeks. I hope to go for a run in a day or so. I had a cold (or maybe the bird flu) that hit me really hard. At any rate, I'm pulling for you and hope it gets better.

Monday, November 21, 2005  
Blogger About Me: said...

forgive me if you've heard this before, but i ran my first mile SIX WEEKS after my first marathon in May. yes, it sucks, yes it was painful, yes PT was boring and slow and boring. but then i ran my first mile, then a 3 miler, then a 6 miler and voila! i was back.
soon, you will be too. remember, 26 miles is a loooong way. your body may, in all fairness, demand a bit of rest.
xtraining = good.
;-)

Monday, November 21, 2005  
Blogger ShoreTurtle said...

There is a letdown that you trained, planned & obsessed for months and now it is over. It is frustrating not to be able to run. In the long term, it's probably more important to get some rest--you don't want to be hurt any longer than necessary. If you try to do too much to soon, it's possible that you may do more harm than good.

Monday, November 21, 2005  
Blogger LeahC said...

When I tried to run the first couple of weeks after the marathon you would have thought I had never run a day in my life. We ran to the gym about a week after the race which is less than a mile away and I was breathing really hard and barely made it there! Give your body some time to recover, you'll be back!

Oh yeah I totally know the eating like you are still in marathon training!

Monday, November 21, 2005  
Blogger Jon (was) in Michigan said...

I heard that! I ran three the other day and you'd think I never ran at all. Bleh. I was just shocked how tired I was. Sorry about the injury there, Danny. Give it some more time and maybe try riding a bike or walking to keep your activity levels up. And stretch like crazy.

Monday, November 21, 2005  
Blogger jeanne said...

Holy crap, I could swear i used the same title for an entry! (Can't remember.) But oh man, yes! Two IS the new 26.2. I am STARTING ALL OVER AGAIN and it sucks! I did 3.5 this morning and whooo hooo--it was huge!

hang in there. this part sucks.

Sunday, November 27, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home