Thursday, March 22, 2007

Matzo, Matzo man ...


... I got to be, a Matzo man.


Shatzer's hand made Matzo factory

I went on a field trip today to the Matzo factory. When I was a kid I went to a mini matzo factory, just to see how it was done. This was my first trip to a commercial establishment. It was really cool. I got to participate a little as well, so I (kind of) made my own Matzo for the seders this year.


First step: flour.


Add water


It's got to be done in 18 minutes (so it doesn't rise too much)


Over to the kneading tables


Put a few holes in them (I think this is for taste)


Into the ovens


And finally, into boxes.

I took home 4 pounds. At 17.75 a pound, that came to 71 bucks. Now you know why it's called the "bread of our affliction".

5 Comments:

Blogger rivkayael said...

there is some kind of halacha behind the holes. not sure what (but it's nothing to do with taste) but already existed during 2nd temple period. do you know if they have to punch the holes even in the soft (Sephardic) matza?
mmm...soft matza...

Friday, March 23, 2007  
Blogger jeanne said...

very cool! and the photos are great. And here I thought the whole thing was done by machine. who knew?

Sunday, March 25, 2007  
Blogger Bridges Runner said...

very cool! loved your last punchline too:)

Tuesday, March 27, 2007  
Blogger Rae said...

Well that just sounds like fun!!!

Saturday, March 31, 2007  
Blogger David said...

Will all due respect I think I would be droolng over Jon's truffles before the matzo balls. Still, it's always cool to see how one's favorite delicacies come to be.

Saturday, March 31, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home