Wednesday, December 05, 2007

Happy Hannukah!

Hannukah has started, and so it's time for my annual video embarrassment to make its appearance in the sidebar. Enjoy!

I've been a little bad with the posting, but the biggest reason for that has been my Garmin. For the last year or so I have had trouble downloading my runs. First it seemed to be the serial cable. I would have to twist it a certain way to get it to work. I even marked out a spot on the wire which had to be face up, and that seemed to help. Eventually, I got tired of this and ordered a new cable. I had exactly the same problem.

Lately the problem got really bad, and was really frustrating me like crazy. I switched cables back and forth and it didn't help, so I finally figured that it must be the bracket. I took it apart and saw that the uploading part of the circuit board was loose. With the cap off, I was able to plug in the cable, hold down the components, and download my run.

Now I was psyched that I had figured out the problem. I called up a friend the next day who has a soldering iron, and headed over to solder the component down.

(blurry cell phone shot)

Long story short(er), it was now completely broken. Sigh.

I contacted Garmin. (Actually I had contacted them earlier, but when they didn't respond right away I had taken the thing apart.) I told them my story and asked them to send me a new cable. To their great credit, they did! My Forerunner was 2 years old, and they sell newer products that don't even use serial cables, but they still satisfied the customer. I've always been a Garmin fan, but this really put them over the top for me. Go Garmin!

Anyway, the new bracket came today. Actually a whole package came but all I needed was the bracket. I plugged in the cable, and like magic, the run downloaded without any trouble. (Makes me feel stupid for waiting so long.)

So... I want to take it apart to see where I went wrong with the other one, but the one screw in it won't loosen. Maybe it's for the best. The other cradle still works to charge, so I can keep that plugged into the wall.

If you're still reading by here, I did manage to get a few runs in lately. 6 mile tempo run on Friday. Sunday I was busy and didn't run, but I still snuck in a 10 mile long run on Monday afternoon. I ran between 8 and 8:15 pace for 10 miles without even realizing. Ridiculous. Today I went to the track for 4 x 1200m. 5:24, 5:07, 4:59, 4:55.

I bought Asics Nimbus IX's earlier in the week, but was never really happy with the fit. I tried them today and I really wasn't happy. I'm going to have to return them, and hope that I can still get the VII's online. (Why do they have to fix what ain't broke??)

I'm at about 955 miles for the year. I'm not sure I'll have time to run Friday, and Sunday I'm scheduled to race a 10K. I'll then have 3 weeks to run 39 miles to reach my goal. My knees have been a little sore and stiff in the cold weather, but I'm still planning on hitting the big 1,000.

5 Comments:

Blogger Darrell said...

I guess this means you should keep your doctoring skills to people rather than electronics.

You can totally knock out 39 miles before year end. I say go for it.

Enjoy the holiday!

Wednesday, December 05, 2007  
Blogger David H. said...

You're definitely well on your way to 1,000. I'm slowly feeling better, but lagging behind on the miles. It's taking a while to get my energy back. I'm plotting it all out in my head though on what I need to do, but at the same time I'm not going to jeopardize my health. Keep up the great work!

Thursday, December 06, 2007  
Blogger Triathamom said...

Danny, I'm still following your running adventures in your blog. I dropped out for a while from blogging & running, but a friend & I signed up for the '08Country Music Half, so my intent is to get back to running & blogging. Thanks for the video!! I will be cracking up all day. I remember watching that on SNL. Take care!

Thursday, December 06, 2007  
Blogger Rae said...

So funny!!! That sounds just like something we would do - spend all that time fixing it and then just kill it good.

Happy Hannukah!!! I bought some Hannukah products online to have a little Hannukah celebration here and enjoy celebrating other world cultures and I'm not sure what main dish to make. Most of the websites I saw suggested brisket but I'm afraid I will never get it done on a weeknight after work before it's midnight!! Any main dish suggestions???

Saturday, December 08, 2007  
Blogger ShoreTurtle said...

I just checked the results. Great job on the 10K yesterday. Another PR on Dr. Farkas...

Monday, December 10, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home