Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Hey, that felt pretty good

I think today was the best run I've had in weeks. My right shin didn't bother me at all. (That's why I was able to feel the things bothering me in my left leg, and right hip!) I've been doing so many things to try and heal myself lately that I can't be sure what exactly is doing the trick, if it isn't all of them. However, I did just get these insoles and they do feel pretty good. They seem to push my foot up a little higher in the shoe, which makes them feel more secure. When I come down on each foot, I really feel the shoe cushioning me more than I did before. (And it was pretty good before.)

Now I recognize there's a potential placebo effect, but I'm generally in the 2/3 of people on which placebo has no effect. In fact, I think many proven therapies or medications have no effect on me. So I'm really surprised that I feel better already. So much so, that I'm suspicious that I'm not really better. Maybe it's just the signifcantly decreased mileage.

Or maybe it's that I've really slowed down. I almost always used to slip into just under a 10 min mile pace when training. Lately though, I've been making a conscious effort to take it easy when I run. Although that doesn't necessarily mean slower, it does mean that I try to hold back on the amount of effort I put into the run. I guess in the end though, that translates into slower speed. So today's pace ended up being about 10:37 for the first 2 miles, and then about 10:13 for the last two.

In any case, if I continue to feel good I'm not going to complain. I'm going to keep stretching and doing strengthening exercises. I'm going to keep icing. I'm going to continue to take it easy when I run. And I'm certainly going to keep using these insoles!

I've put together a new training schedule. Although I do increase the mileage pretty quickly over the next few weeks, I'm still running less than I did during my half-marathon week. Unfortunately, I don't see any other way of being ready for the marathon in 7 and half weeks. I'm hoping that the mileage I accumulated prior to slowing down will help get me through these next few weeks. I've also trimmed one running day off the schedule. (And so I'll have to make an effort to cross train more.)

It's good to be back.

7 Comments:

Blogger Cris said...

You're doing cross-training too?

Have you considered that you may simply not be giving your body enough recovery time?

Tuesday, September 13, 2005  
Blogger Danny said...

You mean I should stop feeling guilty for not doing any cross training until now??

:-)

Tuesday, September 13, 2005  
Blogger :) said...

Welcome back!

Wednesday, September 14, 2005  
Blogger HouseRunner said...

Yay for good runs, Yay for no pain, Yay for not cross training!

Wednesday, September 14, 2005  
Blogger jeanne said...

Yee-ha! Yeah for you! I'm convinced running is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery covered in inscrutability (is that even a word?) In other words, who the hell knows what happens when and why? I surely don't. Just so happy to hear you had a good (relatively) pain-free run!

Wednesday, September 14, 2005  
Blogger jeanne said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Wednesday, September 14, 2005  
Blogger jeanne said...

p.s. sorry, like an idiot i posted the same thing twice then removed it. just to add to the mystery of the whole thing. All planned out. ya see?

Wednesday, September 14, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home