Monday, November 21, 2005

Post Marathon Letdown Disorder

Thanks for all the encouraging comments. Rather than respond in the comment section of my last post, I thought I'd just write a new post.

I think the trouble I'm having is accepting the fact that the marathon was not just a slightly longer training run. I'm still not sure why, since that's how I tried to run it. But for whatever reason, after 17 or 18 miles it became totally different.

For the first week after the marathon I couldn't even walk normally. I was constantly reminded of my accomplishment, especially walking down the 2 flights of stairs when leaving my apartment! Those painful movements, combined with the lingering afterglow of having finished a marathon, removed any thoughts of needing to run from my mind.

However, over the next week both of those feelings faded. It's been 15 days since I ran the marathon, but I can barely remember it. When I just added up that number I was surprised. It seems so much longer ago.

Because the marathon faded away so quickly, and my running skills and strengths seem to have gone with it, it's quite frustrating. I know everyone goes through this, and that it's totally normal. But it still kind of sucks.

I had previously emailed Steve Runner that I think the cure for the letdown is setting a new goal and going after it. For that reason, it was very soon after the race that I started searching marathonguide.com and looked into spring marathons. I know it's way too early to be in training for anything, but I'd really like to be able to run (or jog!) 2 miles without it being a problem. (Plus, why the knee? Where did that come from?)

There are a couple of things that I need to do more seriously if I want to get over this. One is stretching, and the other is crosstraining. I hereby resolve to do both of them right away.

8 Comments:

Blogger brent said...

my knee never hurt ever in my life of athletics, except after the marathon. about 2 weeks afterwards i ran a 5k...knee hurt afterwards. meanwhile i ran weekly mileage in the single digits for another month...and now it seems ok. so give it some time and my guess is your knee will forget all about that marathon thing.

Monday, November 21, 2005  
Blogger tri-mama said...

The best post marathon advice I received was to give one day of recovery for every mile covered. So, 26 days to recover isn't so bad. A little biking to break down lactic acid, stretching and then in week two begin a slow return to easy running. It lets the muscle tissue heal well and helps avoid injury when the training begins again.

Tuesday, November 22, 2005  
Blogger Jon (was) in Michigan said...

Sounds like you have a good plan. Time to get back on the horse. :)

Tuesday, November 22, 2005  
Blogger Louis said...

I haven't run a step since NYC. Thanksgiving weekend with the in-laws may just provide that opprotunity to get back on the horse.

Tuesday, November 22, 2005  
Blogger Scott in Washington said...

Danny,

I'm glad to hear that you are thinking in terms of how soon you will get your running steam back and start trainging for your second marathon instead of saying, "Never @$#@% again!" It could be worse.

Tuesday, November 22, 2005  
Blogger lamjuice said...

HI! I'm going for my 2nd marathon on 5th Dec... worrying about it cuz I'm still having exams and havent had much time to train at all. I hope I can finish... anyway, have you train doing cross training, swim after a marathon? thought it was rather good after my first marathon... ^_^

Tuesday, November 22, 2005  
Blogger Michelle said...

weight training, especially working on the core muscles, has really helped my running a lot. I think it's the best cross training around. And, no you won't turn into the hulk if you are worried about getting bulky. I've been pumpin' iron for 4 years and less bulky now than ever before.

Saturday, November 26, 2005  
Blogger Cris said...

If you created some deep injuries in the marathon, it could take some time to get over them, so it's not surprising that a 2-miler hurts still.

but I didn't come here to talk about that, only to make a "new goal" suggestion: Instead of a marathon, how about picking a shorter race and working towards a "significant PR"... i.e. do some speed work for the next few months, go out and race a 5K in March or a 15K in June... a half-marathon sometime this summer... then see what kind of change that speed-work produces in next year's NY marathon... ??

Saturday, November 26, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home