Sunday, April 01, 2007

Quick Update

I've been busy and haven't had a chance to put together a decent post. Tomorrow I'm leaving to spend Passover with my family, so I thought I'd get a quick one out.

Last Sunday I ran 16 miles along the West Side Highway. It's really a beautiful route.







I ran a couple of times during the week. That includes Friday where my run got interrupted by this huge police chase. I turned back the other way, and ran into the police again. There must have been 300 policeman standing around (doing nothing). Apparently these guys robbed somebody and drove off in his car. My guess is that warrants 2 policeman, if any. But then they smashed 2 police cars while trying to get away. That warrants 300 policeman speeding through traffic like maniacs. I hope Dunkin' Donuts didn't lose too much business that day...

Today I ran another race. I was planning on getting to the park early and getting in 6 miles before the 10K. I did get there early, but couldn't find parking. (That's always so annoying!) Anyway, I ended up running only a couple of miles before the race, including 1.5 miles right into the start of the race.

Since I had not been planning to really race this thing full out, I had no real plans on how to run the race. Akiva wanted to run 8 minute miles and that seemed fast to me. For the first few miles I just took it easy. Like usual, that meant I was going faster than I thought, but I really wasn't passing too many people. The next few miles were tough, but I wasn't pushing too hard. Surprisingly the splits were pretty good. At some point Akiva asked me if I was going to set a PR, but I really had no idea what my previous PR was.

As it turned out, I smashed my old PR, which I set last year at this race. Last year it took me 53:04 and this year I got that down to 49:30, for a 7:59 pace! Sweet!

(Splits: 8:52, 8:08, 7:52, 8:08, 7:39, 7:33, 1:18 (6:30))

My knees are a little sore now, but I'll be off running until at least Thursday, given the holiday schedule. If you look at my sidebar, you can see that now my 4 mile PR is now out of whack. There are two 4 mile races coming up in April, including the race where I set my PR in 2001. The thing is that if I run this marathon in May, it's probably not such a good idea to keep doing these races. I'm pretty confident I can get my 4 mile PR pace down to about 7:45, but that may have to wait for another time.

9 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I'm glad you posted those pics. I was just thinking, this morning on the way to the race, as I saw someone jogging down that path, how I'll soon be ready to run that route all the way down. Me Kimmie's parents were in town this morning and drove me down to the park. I can attest to the impossible parking situation this morning. It took them over half an hour to find a spot and the spot they found was near the West Side Highway.

Congratulations on a well run race. You were really moving!

Monday, April 02, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Damn, when did you get so fast??! Congrats, and have a great Passover...

Monday, April 02, 2007  
Blogger Darrell said...

You are racing so well this year.

The LI marathon looks like a good choice; close to home yet different from NYC. Train well.

Monday, April 02, 2007  
Blogger Faithful Soles said...

Nice post, and the pictures were awesome (I'm down in Houston and envy those of you with cold weather to train in).

If you get a chance, please visit my running web site, Faithful Soles. I have a categorized and searchable Running Blog Database on there and would appreciate it if you would link your blog to it. I also have my own blog, but most of my information is on the main web site. Thanks and continued good luck in your training towards your next marathon in May.

Monday, April 02, 2007  
Blogger Afternoon Tea With Oranges said...

Nice running! And what an awesome route. Enjoy passover with your family!

Monday, April 02, 2007  
Blogger Runner Susan said...

Great pictures Danny. Have a great Passover with your family.

Tuesday, April 03, 2007  
Blogger Bridges Runner said...

Happy Passover:) So far so good...only a few more days to go!

Great run too!

Friday, April 06, 2007  
Blogger Beanie said...

nice pics. I LOVE that route too...

Friday, April 06, 2007  
Blogger jeanne said...

Is that NYC? beautiful! happy belated passover.

and was your race the scotland 10k? My ex-relatives ran it and it sounded awesome! You are really running well. I am very jealous. Nice job on the 17 miler too!

Tuesday, April 10, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home