Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Speed Work

I tried the first workout from the FIRST book I've been reading. I think I ran a touch faster than I was supposed to, and the heat was a lot hotter than it should be. Nonetheless, I managed to push through and finish.

I was supposed to run 3 x 1600m with 1 minute rest in between. I got paged during the first lap, and answered the call during the rest. It ended up being around 2 minutes, the same as the second rest. The 1600's were tough, and I don't think I could have started another one with just one minute's rest.

Using my 5K PR as a guideline, my goal time was supposed to be around 7:20. (Although according to McMillan it would be closer to 7:40.) Not having done this before, I had no idea how hard to run. I monitored myself on the 400m laps, and I thought I did pretty well - if I do say so myself. My splits ended up being:
7:13
7:09
7:21

With a warmup and a cooldown thrown in, I was wiped. I had thought about running to and from the track, but by the time I was done, I was glad my car was there.

So now I think I'm going to crosstrain (cycle?) tomorrow. At least that's the plan. My earlier plans had me running 4 times a week, but I'm toying with really sticking to the FIRST plan, and limiting it to 3 more intense runs.

I'll keep you posted.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home