Sunday, May 13, 2007

Injury Update

I tried to make it to an orthopedic surgeon, but his office day was the same as my operating day. I did, however, talk to him on the phone. He felt that as long as it seemed like it was getting better, he didn't usually do any further workup until about 6 weeks.

I still wanted to start physical therapy, so I asked one of the physiatrists to prescribe some PT for me. He was happy to do it, but asked me to see one of the "foot experts" in their department.

And that's how I ended up with this:



That my friends, is an Unna boot. It wraps around your foot, and stays there for a week. (I have to shower with a plastic bag on my foot!) I've put on tons of these, although always for other problems. It was so weird to be getting one myself. While she was putting it on I must have said about ten times, "I can't believe I'm getting an Unna boot".

The physiatrist who put it on felt that it would provide some "relative immobility", kind of like a semi-flexible cast. In addition she put some extra inserts under the insole of my shoes. Because of my theory that the peroneal tendons were being overused, the purpose of these inserts was to change the angle of my foot, and take pressure off the tendons.

She also had me get some X-rays,



which were negative.

So anyway, because of the Unna boot, I couldn't actually get any therapy last week. I also can't tell if it's working. The pain I was feeling before isn't really there, but that's because I'm walking abnormally. My foot bothers me in other areas, and the "boot" itself is annoying. So far it's been on for 4 days, and I'm going to try and last another 3. Wednesday I hope to take it off, and see how I feel without it. I'm also supposed to see the therapist that day as well. (To be honest, I'm concerned that I'll be stiff from wearing this for a week, and that I'm actually doing more harm than good.)

In the meantime, I clearly can't run. (Actually, I could probably still run with this on, and considered running this morning. But I'm trying to be the good patient and do what I'm told. For now.) So that's kind of annoying. I really feel like I'm losing a lot of my fitness. I've been lifting weights a little more, but I'm pretty limited. I couldn't even bike or swim if I wanted to.

A few more days....

3 Comments:

Blogger Iron Jayhawk said...

Hang in there, Danny...this will hopefully be over soon.

In the meantime, rest up!

Monday, May 14, 2007  
Blogger Jon (was) in Michigan said...

Ha! The shoe is on the other foot now. :)

Heh. I've been waiting a long time to use that joke someplace. Sorry.

Well, hopefully it will help things heal faster. Sorry its taken this long already.

Hang in there.

Tuesday, May 15, 2007  
Blogger peter said...

It looks like you're getting the proper treatment so you'll be back soon! I remember three days before the first marathon I actually trained for, I tripped on the basement steps and fell three feet onto the cement floor. I was all right but I distinctly remember in that split second trying to figure out how to land (on my back) so I would least jeopardize my upcoming marathon. I remember deciding not to try to step back into balance b/c that would likely cause an ankle sprain.

Friday, May 18, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home