Thursday, March 27, 2008

Back to Old Places

The last two weeks I've only run on Sunday. I've meant to get out there, but for a variety of reasons it hasn't happened. It's not very impressive.

This past Sunday, I went out for a long(ish) run near my apartment. While I was out there I realized I hadn't done this in so long. Many of my runs over the winter have been on the treadmill, and my long outdoor runs have been in races. The last time I went for a long training run in my neighborhood was January 6th. That was 11 weeks ago!!



It was good to get out again. I'm not in as good shape, but the weather was a bit warmer, and I enjoyed the run out to City Island.

To try and keep the momentum up, I went back to the running track on Tuesday. (Only 5 weeks since the last trip there. Sigh.) I randomly chose to do 3 x 1600m. I have a 10K race this Sunday, so I thought some mile repeats (or close to it) would be good practice.

I got busy at work, and didn't make it to the track until about 5. That meant it was packed with high school teams practicing relay transfers. (In addition to the usual groups of people walking in a group, kids dribbling basketballs, and people pushing wheelchairs while talking on their cellphone.) I might have been better off doing my speedwork on the street! It just makes me want to go earlier next time.

In any case, I warmed up a bit and did my intervals. I didn't feel fast, so I took it easy. Not too easy, but I was pretty sure I'd run these faster in the past.

7:01
6:45
7:07

That second one was tough, and I didn't have the energy to push through the third time. I was upset at myself for getting fat and slow.

When I got home I looked up the previous times I've run this workout. It was quite a surprise.

7/17/07 - 7:24, 7:23, 7:09
8/15/07 - 7:56, 7:13, 7:06
12/26/07 - 7:07, 6:50, 6:56

The first times were at the beginning of the FIRST training program. The one in July was before I started, and the August one was week 1. Clearly I'm faster now than I was then. The one in December is post-marathon, and that was the best running time for me. It's interesting to me that although I was faster then, in my mind the difference was a lot greater. I can definitely get back to my previous shape. (But I have to stop eating like I'm running 60 miles a week...)

On Sunday I have a 10K race. Unfortunately, I'm also on call this weekend. So the race may not happen. If it's not crazy busy I'll try and round really early and make it to the race.

In other running related news, I'm looking forward to two things coming out in May. One is the Nimbus 10. I'm still running in my old Nimbus 7's. I didn't like the 8's or 9's, and so I'm hoping the 10's will finally do the trick. There's a video review on the Runner's World website, and the written review comes out in May. (The June issue, which comes at the beginning of May.)

Also, the Forerunner 405 is coming out around then. My old 201 is still giving me problems, both with uploading, as well as holding its charge. It's really time for an upgrade. The 405 looks pretty cool, and the wireless syncing is really exciting. I have a few concerns. One is whether I'll be able to use it well with gloves. Their Q&A says yes, but I get the sense that it won't be so easy to switch screens while running. The other concern is whether I'll be able to wirelessly upload to SportTracks. Garmin has been pushing people to use Garmin Connect - which is just the old Motion Based. But I've been really happy with SportTracks. If I have wirelessly upload to Garmin, and then manually transfer the files to SportTracks, the advantage is kind of lost. I'm going to wait for some reviews of the device, and if I'm not impressed, I'm hoping that at least the 205/305 will be cheaper.

Unfortunately I'll have to live with some old Nimbus VII's and an old Forerunner 201 until at least May. (But my birthday does happen to be in May....)

4 Comments:

Blogger ShoreTurtle said...

You're a speedy doctor. I haven't done speed work in the last six months since we moved to the new house (no indoor track at the gym and no outdoor track that I can find). I am afraid of how I would do on the track after so long.

I was justing wondering last night when the new nimbus will be coming out. The VIIs are my favorite too. My last two shoes have been Adidas. I think that I'm ready to go back to Asics.

I registered for the Tuesday night Wall Street 5K in May. I also submitted an entry for the NYC half marathon in July.

Are you going to do the Broad Street run with me this year?

: )

Friday, March 28, 2008  
Blogger David H. said...

I'm hoping to get that new Garmin sometime this year, but I really want to hear reviews about it first.

Saturday, March 29, 2008  
Blogger ShoreTurtle said...

Good luck with the 10K

Saturday, March 29, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Danny,

This is very nice. Perhaps you can think of a new Garmin, like you wanted, for your B-DAY?

Maksim

Saturday, May 17, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home