Monday, May 26, 2008

L'Chaim Run for Israel 5K 2008

So with my horrible performance at the Wall Street Run last week, I wasn't too optimistic about this race.

After the race I took Wednesday and Thursday off. Then on Friday I ran a 5 mile "tempo" run. It was about an 8:30 pace, but it felt tough. And my shins bugged me in the beginning.

On Sunday I made a deliberate effort to go slow for my long run. I ended up running somewhere around a 9:30 pace. My shins bothered me a little in the beginning, and I was thinking that I'd have to skip the race on Monday. In the end, my legs settled down, and I decided to see how I felt later. My legs felt a little tight Sunday night, but I really enjoyed this race last year, so I made the decision to go.

I saw a bunch of people I knew at the race, and recognized many of the people from last year. It was really hot and I felt dehydrated before the start. I ended up buying some water and tried to stay in the shade where possible.

Just before the race I moved up in front of the strollers and people with purses. (I learned from the last race!) I ended up only being a couple of rows back, but I was still talking to a friend when the shofar went off unexpectedly. I had enough sense to hit the start button on my watch, and set off.

Like last year, people took off at full speed, and I held back. At least I thought I did. I didn't have headphones and so I was trying to control my breathing. I knew I was working hard, but I was still able to keep control.

All of a sudden I was at the first mile marker, and the volunteer said something that started with a "6". I looked at my watch and saw 6:32. What?! Maybe the mile marker was short...

There were some hills around now, and I was starting to think that maybe I was going too fast. I didn't want to slow down, but I could tell I'd have trouble keeping up this pace. (Or maybe it was psychological.) I could barely see anybody in front of me, so I knew I was doing well. I ended up running the second mile in 7:07.

By the third mile I was really hurting. It seemed to last forever. In the first mile I had passed a lot of runners, but since that time my position had been stable. I could see the same kid in front of me, but I couldn't get any closer. By listening to the people on the side of the course I could tell
that there wasn't anybody right behind me. But I didn't know how far back the next person was, and I didn't want to give up any position. I missed a trophy by 8 seconds last year, and didn't want that to happen again.

I ended up just hanging in there for a 7:20 third mile, and 0:46 for the last 0.1 mile. I never caught the kid in front of me, but the person behind me finished 12 seconds back.

I'm just happy being on the first page!

My final time was 21:48.5, which is a 7:01 pace. That's a new PR by 1:35!! I was 11th overall, and 2nd in my age division. First time I ever picked up any hardware!

How awesome is that?

Ok, so what do I do with this thing now?

After the race, it took me a while to catch my breath and get my heart rate back to normal. Then I hit the "expo" there. Most races I've gone to have bagels, or at best donuts, and occasionally beer. Not so, this Jewish sponsored race. Pizza, knishes, and ice cream. (Some was for sale.) Needless to say, by the time I left I had lost any health benefits from the actual run!

At the expo. See the "Under Armor" kipah's at the right?

After the race. "Carb re-loading".

In other good news, my shins didn't hurt at all. I had a tough time from a cardiovascular point of view, but my legs felt good. So I was really happy with this race.

By the way, these were the overall winners. (I don't think I've seen them around Synagogue before.)

I'm scheduled to run another race this weekend, but I don't think I should race again so soon. Also, part of the new requirements for guaranteed entry into the marathon is to volunteer at a race. I signed up to volunteer later in the month, but I've since been scheduled to be on call that weekend. So if possible, I'm going to try and switch my volunteering into this weekend.


Blogger tinablue87 said...

Yay Danny!!!

Monday, May 26, 2008  
Blogger ShoreTurtle said...

You rock! That's awesome, Dan. Congrats on your hardware.

Tuesday, May 27, 2008  
Blogger Barry Garner said...

Congrats on a great race dude!!!

Tuesday, May 27, 2008  
Blogger Lisa said...

congrats on a great run!

Tuesday, May 27, 2008  
Blogger nyflygirl said...

(I don't think I've seen them around Synagogue before.)

That made me laugh :)

Congrats on a great race and the hardware!

Tuesday, May 27, 2008  
Blogger Curly Su said...

yo - congrats!! PR!!!! and a trophey?!? that's awesome!

Tuesday, May 27, 2008  
Blogger brent said...

sweet, good race. that trophy thing looks awesome!

Tuesday, June 10, 2008  
Blogger Darrell said...

Congrats on the great race. A 6 something first mile is screamin'. I'm glad you were able to redeem yourself after the last one.

I hope the volunteering goes well, it really is a lot of fun.

Wednesday, June 11, 2008  
Anonymous chelle said...

Hey, thanks for your comment and congrats on the PR...your HUGE PR, that's awesome. It's so fulfulling to see actual improvement. It makes it so much easier to get out there when the weather is it is now.

Did you volunteer at the Japan run then? As for feeling like you knew me, that's definitely something I feel like is true in blog land. I've refered to so many people as friends or people I know when I've never actually met them. And when I actually have met people who I only know from their blogs, it often feels like I've known them a long time already.

Wednesday, June 11, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home