Sunday, March 21, 2010

Hard to Start from Scratch

I'm kind of back in the game...

The weather got a little better, and I have tried to start running again. I'm way out of shape, both in terms of my weight and my fitness. And it shows.

Let's review:
August - 85.44 miles
September - 37.02 miles
October - 29.85 miles
November - 11.44 miles
December - 6.10 miles
January - 0 miles
February - 2 miles

Well, no mystery why I'm having such a hard time. (I hadn't really seen it in such black and white before. It's pretty pathetic...)

So far in March, I've run at least once in the last 3 weeks.
Week 1 - 2.07 miles
Week 2 - 3.41 miles
Week 3 - 10.30 miles

Hmm... I can see why my knees might be a little sore. The longest I've run continuously is only up to 3 miles, but the mileage buildup might be a problem. Always an issue when you're starting from zero or close to it - as I've posted in the past. Maybe if I broke it down by run, the progression looks better: 2.07, 3.41, 4.13, 6.17. (And the last two were 5 days apart!) The overall numbers are a little deceiving anyway, since there's a fair amount of walk breaks in there.

I'm sure I should add some cross-training in there, but I'm not really set up for that at this time. I'll probably just play it by how I feel.

Anyway, I've signed up for my first race in half a year. Might be some scheduling issues, but I hope to make it. It's a 4 miler on April 11th. So wish me luck.

(Oh. And I signed up for the marathon too. But that's a long time away.)

5 Comments:

Blogger Jon (was) in Michigan said...

Glad to see you back at it, Danny. Good luck in the 4-miler.

And a marathon? New York again?

Monday, March 22, 2010  
Blogger Andrew is getting fit said...

Glad to see you're back out on the roads.

Monday, March 22, 2010  
Blogger Darrell said...

It is hard, but you know you can do it.

Good luck with the races.

Tuesday, March 23, 2010  
Blogger NY Wolve said...

I have been there before -- my gaps have been years long. Recently, I went run-less in Dec and Jan -- and added 20 pounds to boot.

Remember, "It is easy to go down into Hades; night and day, the gates of dark Death stand wide; but to climb back again, to retrace one's steps to the upper air - there's the rub, the task."

Good luck and stay strong!

Tuesday, March 23, 2010  
Blogger Jank said...

WELCOME BACK!

NYC Marathon was a disaster for a lot of people this year; glad to hear they're strapped back long.

Wednesday, March 24, 2010  

Post a Comment

<< Home