Sunday, August 30, 2009

Good week (but sore legs)

Since I was off I managed to get my 3 runs in this week. I ran 5 miles on the hot streets of Washington on Wednesday, 5 on the treadmill on Friday, and just slogged out 14 miles back home.

As per my little calendar, I probably should have put in 16 or 18 today, but my legs were sore. Part of it is from recent ramp up in running. But I actually think a bigger problem was all the walking I did in D.C. I don't have good tourist shoes, and at the end of the day that really hurt me. So today I started heading back home just after 6 miles. When I was close to home I felt I can stuff another 2 miles in, so I went on a detour. (I actually felt like doing another detour to get the mileage closer to where I thought I should be - but I didn't want to tempt fate anymore.)

I did much better than I've done the last few weeks. I left earlier in the morning, and the weather wasn't as bad. At the end I could feel the sun coming out - and I was glad I was almost done!

I finished off the month with 85 miles. I haven't run that much since before my last marathon 2 years ago. (To be fair though, there were 5 weekends in August!) It's left with me with a nice gentle ramp over this year. (A slight jump this month - but remember, 5 weekends!)


Of course, if you look at it near the training for my last marathon, you can get a better sense of where I stand.

June/July/August 2007: 317 miles.
June/July/August 2009: 203 miles.

It's ok. My expectations are lower as well. I'd just like to finish it feeling well this time.

6 Comments:

Blogger ShoreTurtle said...

Tourist walking is under-rated as a cross-training activity. It was probably best to run what you did instead of trying to force the issue. Hope that you had a good vacation.

Sunday, August 30, 2009  
Blogger tinablue87 said...

Good for you! I managed 10 miles today. It was hot and I didn't bring water. On an up note: I ran the West Side Highway today. All and all a good run.

Sunday, August 30, 2009  
Blogger Darrell said...

DC is a great place to visit and to run.

Congrats on the detour.

Monday, August 31, 2009  
Blogger Janice @ Mom On The Run said...

Wow! It's been a long long time since I ran that far - good for you and good luck in your marathon!

Monday, August 31, 2009  
Blogger Jank said...

4 days. Diana says she'll be at the church at the corner near the start.

Wednesday, September 02, 2009  
Anonymous SIGVARIS said...

Danny,
Good luck on your next marathon. Check out www.athleticrecoverysock.com to see if we can help you recover faster!

Thanks,
Lisa - SIGVARIS

Tuesday, November 17, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home