Thursday, September 15, 2005

Six more miles



I feel like I spend half my time reading running blogs and thinking about my next run. Then when I'm actually running, I'm thinking about how I'm going to write about it in the blog. I really need to start working full time again.

In any case, today's run was pretty good. My shin didn't really bother me, until maybe at the end. I did feel some little twinges here and there, but for the most part, I really felt good out there. I even enjoyed it. (It's been a while.)

Another nice thing was that I didn't get lost. I've tried to run this route before and ended up in the wrong place. I guess practice does make perfect.

It's really a nice run. There's a paved path almost the entire way, with the major exceptions being two bridges. Running over these bridges is kind of cool in it's own respect, especially the one over water. There's a nice breeze, and you really feel on top of the world as you run across it. For the time being I'm avoiding long runs on concrete, but sometime in the future I'd like to run over some of the more impressive NYC bridges like the Brooklyn Bridge and the George Washington Bridge. (And of course, I'm looking forward to running over the Verazzano in less than two months time!)

I'm trying to find out more about longer running routes in NYC. I've found several good pages online, and a map of all the bike routes. More specifically, I'm looking for the distances of the routes along the East and West sides of Manhattan. I think those would both be pretty cool runs.

In somewhat related news I've ordered the Forerunner 201. I'm not sure how well it will work in NYC, but since I don't live in Manhattan I thought I'd give it a try. So maybe once that comes I'll be able to do some of these long runs without having them all mapped out and measured in such detail beforehand. (For this weekend, however, I'll plan to run in Central Park. 2 loops for 12 miles.)

8 Comments:

Blogger ShoreTurtle said...

I can identify with your comment about reading blogs, thinking about running when you're not and thinking about writing a blog during a run. I find my runs more interesting because I'm trying new routes and looking at my surroundings more. Unfortunately, full-time work doesn't make it go away. Good luck with the forerunner! Everyone that I know that has a garmin--likes it a lot..

Thursday, September 15, 2005  
Blogger TriDaddy said...

I too am totally with you on that first paragraph... jeez, I need to get back to work! lunch was over an hour ago!

Friday, September 16, 2005  
Blogger a.maria said...

ooooh. yummy garmin 201. there are quite a few of us with one of those bad boys. you'll love it and become ridiculously addicted!

have fun!

Friday, September 16, 2005  
Blogger jeanne said...

Hey, the main reason I run is so I can have something to blog about!! Time for me to get a life!
So glad you are feeling better!

Sunday, September 18, 2005  
Blogger :) said...

You are gonna love that thing (201)!!!

Sunday, September 18, 2005  
Blogger April Anne said...

Good Luck with the forerunner. ~ I think we need some type of support group to help all the people addicted to blogging. Once I start checking out a few blogs…I just can’t stop. :)

Sunday, September 18, 2005  
Blogger Tracy said...

OK, you put it over the top for me - I have to get that 201!

Sunday, September 18, 2005  
Blogger Michelle said...

Don't you just love new toys!

Monday, September 19, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home