Sunday, October 23, 2005

Now I'm really tapering...

Today was my last double digit run before the marathon - 12 miles down the West Side Highway. With only 23 miles left on my schedule, I now have less miles of training left than there are in the actual marathon. That's kind of cool.

What's not cool is that I didn't really enjoy today's run. I really dislike going out in the wind and (relative) cold. I know at the end of my run I was pretty comfortable with the temperature in the mid 50's. But while I'm getting started I'm really cold and uncomfortable. (Maybe I should start with some extra clothing - only then I'd have to shlep it around with me for the rest of my run.) Also, in the cold weather my knees have felt more stiff. It feels as though the synovial fluid in my joints have turned into a thick gel. And furthermore, I think I tend to run too fast in the cold weather. Probably because I want to get it over with already! In any case, this makes the run too hard. I was listening to Phedippidations today, and he was discussing his marathon last week. As he was describing hitting the wall, I felt like I was hitting my own wall today. And it was at mile 9 or 10!

Now, don't get me wrong. I'm happy right now that I ran those 12 miles. I do feel good about that. I'm just saying that I wasn't having much fun while I was running them. I have this feeling of just wanting to get this marathon thing over with so I can stop punishing myself. I'm not sure how I'll be motivated to keep exercising after the race.

Which brings me to another point. For those of you who clicked on the link to my schedule, you'll notice I included an extra column this time. In the past I've been leaving it out, but I've been recording my weight every Sunday morning. (For those of you who know about Sabbath meals, you'll recognize that this is the worst time in the week to weigh one's self. But at least it's consistent.)



As you can see, in the last two and a half months, I've lost a grand total of 0 pounds. May I remind you that during that same time I've run 250 miles!! Now I'm not really overweight, as you can see by my picture. But I would have liked to have been carrying a few less pounds for the 26.2 miles. I guess the "eat whatever you feel like" diet hasn't worked. Actually, I'm kidding. I have tried to be careful, but there have been a ton of holidays lately, and that's made things really tough.

I am worried though about what's going to happen after the marathon. I do plan to keep exercising, but it certainly won't be to the level of what I've been doing. I'm also going to get busier at work. I'm worried I'm going to have trouble keeping my weight where it is. I may have to give up "all you can eat Sushi" on Monday nights. (Nah, I probably won't do that...)

I have a few ideas in mind but I'm keeping them quiet until after the marathon. I don't want to talk about any future goals, until I get past this one. This really big one.

Less than two weeks to go...

10 Comments:

Blogger Beanie said...

I think perhaps most marathoners go through the concerns you're going through right now. I myself, just had to give up chocolate completely because the mileage has (obviously) dropped way off since the marathon, and I'd definitely been on the 'eat whatever the hell I like diet' during the training period. Sounds like you're already kinda thinking about the next goals though, which is all you'll need to get your motivated =)

Monday, October 24, 2005  
Blogger Nic said...

Thanks for the comment on Phase Five!

It's actually hard to lose weight while trainig for a marathon. It's easier to lose when you train for a half marathon. Try to pick a goal time that's fast for you, so you work hard during your runs. And then b/c those runs are short in comparrison to marathon training, you'll be less inclined to eat whatever you want.

That said, today, since the race has eneded, I have eaten whatever I wanted. I better start looking for another race...

Good luck next week! You may not be lighter, but I bet you are leaner and meaner!

Monday, October 24, 2005  
Blogger Jon (was) in Michigan said...

You will be awsome, Danny. My bet is the 12 miler was tough because you are still recovering the longer runs earlier, but if nothing in particular is not working, then I think you can expect a great race.

And for some reason when you said synovial fluid, all I could think of was amniotic fluid. Hopefully that's not in your joints.

Monday, October 24, 2005  
Blogger Louis said...

I trained for my first marathon when I was 27 years old. Back then, the pounds just melted away so easily . . .

Now, at 41, not so much. I think it's an age thing, because my diet isn't any worse than it was then; if anything, it's better.

These last two week are when I get a bit obsessive. For instance, I compulsively check the long-range weather forecast, even though I know they can't accurately predict anything 13 days in advance. (52 degrees and sunny, by the way.)

Monday, October 24, 2005  
Blogger jkv said...

I just stumbled across your blog. I'm a 3 time marathon runner and 4th year medical student. Good luck on your race!

Monday, October 24, 2005  
Blogger Cris said...

Danny, danny, danny... you're forgetting the first rule of weight-loss v. training: if your weight isn't changing it's because the FAT is all turning into MUSCLE. You are a MACHINE!

Besides, now's not the time to lose weight. You're right where you need to be and your body is so damn ready for the marathon it's unbelievable.

Monday, October 24, 2005  
Blogger LeahC said...

I had concerns about the marathon also about this time before mine. I had a really really bad 12 miler which was only 2 weeks before the race. I tried to not dwell on the bad but on the fact that I got through it (no matter how slow!) You'll be fine at the race. Good Luck!

Tuesday, October 25, 2005  
Blogger JGC Photography said...

I trained for my first marathon last year, at the age of 36 having never run before. I ran the Ottawa marathon in May and the Toronto half in Sept. Back for another round this May in Ottawa. Keep up the hard work.

www.charronrunning.blogspot.com

Tuesday, October 25, 2005  
Blogger Donald said...

The down time you're spending not running this week can drive you CRAZY if you try to analyze every physical and psychological abnormality. Don't worry about it and just try to relax this week. The hay is in the barn now!

Tuesday, October 25, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats on finishing up training:)

Anyway, it's totally legit to feel a bit concerned about eating after the marathon. I definitely worried about that last year after completing marathon #1: NYCM. However, I tend to agree with the clan here that talks about a marathon being a tough time to lose weight...so very true. You need to keep your body energized for one...and two...you gain muscle..yay.

Best of luck with NYCM...I'm sure you'll do great:)

Wednesday, October 26, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home