Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Busy

I feel like I've been neglecting my blog. Unfortunately, I've been busy with both work and the upcoming holidays. I feel very stressed, but it will all be better by the weekend. For now, here's an update.

I managed to get in my 14 mile run on Sunday. It was raining, so I didn't bring my Forerunner. I was running in Central Park, so I didn't really need it. (I ran the 5 mile "upper loop", the 5 mile "lower loop", and the 4 mile "middle loop".) It would have been nice if I remembered to bring my regular stopwatch, but I forgot it. Instead, I ran watchless, oblivious of time. Because I was on backup call I had my cellphone with me. At the end of each loop I checked the time on my phone. 10 min mile. Just like always. (Well, maybe a few seconds faster at the end.)

Speaking of my cellphone, I tried out my new amphipod for the first time. I had meant to test it out on a shorter run, but I never managed to get around to it. Since I needed my phone Sunday, I figured I'd give it a try. Well, contrary to their advertising, I didn't forget it was there. In fact, I'm still remembering it. The amphipod pulled down on my shorts and hung a little low. (How tight should I make my shorts??) So now my right anterior hip, where the thing was sitting, is killing me. It's actually even a bit swollen. It also didn't work for my iPod Shuffle, since I couldn't work the controls through the thick material. It was nice not having my phone bounce around in my pocket, but this doesn't seem to be a great solution. Maybe with different shorts it will be better.

In other news, I bought some new long sleeve coolmax t-shirts today, as well as a coolmax hat. I'll probably have a chance to try them both out tomorrow for my 10 miles in the rain.

I'm still a little sore, but I'm confident about the 10. I'll have 2 days to recover before another 5 on Friday. Then the big 2-0 on Sunday. I'm half nervous and half "not looking forward" to that run. But it must be done. At least I start the taper right afterwards.

I'm still trying to get a picture of those ING marathon ads up around in town. In the meantime, check out this site for some clips from last year. There's one video of a car driving through the course, giving you the windshield view. I got tired just "driving" through the course over a few minutes. I can't believe I'm going to run the same course over a few hours!!

6 Comments:

Blogger Nancy Toby said...

Thanks for the link to the course preview! Cool!

Wednesday, October 12, 2005  
Blogger Cris said...

Hey, I know another runner who's doing her 20-miler this weekend; she too will be running NY for the first time. She's less nervous about the run than you... taking a very laid back attitude to her long runs, seems to get her through.

I don't know my volunteer position yet, but I'll let you know as soon as I do.

Wednesday, October 12, 2005  
Blogger Jon (was) in Michigan said...

I think the Forerunner is supposed to be waterproof, but then again, it isn't supposed to crash after 3 months either. Never mind.

Good job on the 14 miles, and good luck on the 20 coming up.

I don't think I've ever seen the amphipod before. Sounds like its not so good if you hav heavy stuff like a phone.

Wednesday, October 12, 2005  
Blogger E-Speed said...

I love when big marathons get ads up all over town. The Boston ads this year were awesome.

Good luck with your 20 you will do fine!

Wednesday, October 12, 2005  
Blogger Rebecca Einstein Schorr said...

May your fast be meaningful and your run be easy!!

G'mar Tov!
:) Rivster

Wednesday, October 12, 2005  
Blogger Meera said...

I have to agree about the amphipod. It really pulled my shorts down and was uncomfortable. I'll let you know if I find a better running wallet. Nice to see your blog. I'm Jay's sister, by the way.

Thursday, October 27, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home