Monday, October 03, 2005

Happy & Healthy New Year

This evening marks the beginning of Rosh Hashanah, which is the Jewish New Year. In contrast to the secular New Year, I'll be spending much of the day in synagague. What little time I'm out of synagague, I'll be eating huge festive meals. I know that sounds good, but it gets tiring after a few of them.

What's interesting about this holiday is that every person is judged on these days, and the events of the coming year are decreed. (Yes, the person can still have an impact on what happens, but the events are still basically decided during these days. It's complicated.) To most people, this concept is usually applied to whether they will live or die, whether they will be be healthy, whether they will find a good job, etc. For me this year, it has crossed my mind more than once that whether I finish the marathon, and how well I do, will be decided in the next two days. (Again, I can still have an impact. If I stop training now, I obviously won't finish. But in some way, the final outcome is decided in the next two days.) This won't be the focus of my prayers, but somewhere it will make a little appearance.

(I recognize this topic was a bit more controversial and opinion forming than most. However, let's not start a "comment war" about this. If you'd like, feel free to email me personally. I'll be back to the computer by Wednesday night.)

I'd like to wish everyone a happy and healthy New Year. May all of everyone's goals be realized this year!

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy New Year! It sounds like an important time for you. I hope you enjoy the holidays with those close to you.

Monday, October 03, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you can't mention something as important as your religious beliefs on your own personal blog then, well, that's a darn bad thing.

Happy New Year from someone who holds a different faith but is grateful that we can both proclaim them freely.

Tuesday, October 04, 2005  
Blogger Unknown said...

I agree with Drew, last time I checked we still had freedom of speech. :) I enjoy reading your blog, thanks for the note on mine. It lets me know that others are feeling the same doubts, aches and pains and that maybe I'm not that crazy after all. Good luck with the training and I know that you'll do very well. Leta

Tuesday, October 04, 2005  
Blogger ShoreTurtle said...

Happy new year! Your race will be here before you know it. Here's to everyone meeting their goals!

Tuesday, October 04, 2005  
Blogger KJ said...

Happy Rosh Hashanah Danny!
Yevarekh Otkha Ha-Shem
I hope I spelled that right.

Tuesday, October 04, 2005  
Blogger Rebecca Einstein Schorr said...

May this year be an injury-free one for you!!

Best of luck...

Thursday, October 06, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home