Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Tired

I feel so tired. I can barely stay awake to listen to the Leaf game. (And it's not like they've been winning so often lately!)

I did make it to the gym today. My trial membership was expiring tomorrow, so I invested in another 5 months today. (So now I have to keep exercising.)

I tried some new drills in swimming today, and I think it went pretty well. I am continuing to improve, but I still get out of breath pretty quickly. Although I did a total of 28 laps today, they were with an abundance of breaks. Even a sprint triathlon would need a distance of about 18 laps or so. I can't imagine doing that without stopping at all in between. (Well maybe if I treaded water for a little.) I know I'll have to get lessons at some point, it's just a matter of having time. Well I have time, it's just not when the lessons are given. Doing this with private lessons all the way would be pretty expensive. My plan is to keep working at improving myself, and at some point in the not too distant future I'll get some private lessons to polish things up a bit.

I also made it to the bike for the first time in almost two weeks. I took it kind of easy today, keeping my cadence in the 90's. That corresponded to a HR of around 130. (In the past, I've pushed myself harder. I'm not sure exactly, but I think my cadence in the past was closer to 110 or so, pushing my HR into the 150's. As a point of reference, my HR is often about 160 when I'm running.) I did cycle at this tempo for 30 minutes, with a little bit of a faster push in the last 5 minutes. Using the "random" setting at level "7" (out of ???) the machine gave me 8.59 miles after a half hour. Combined with the cooldown, I ended up burning a disappointing 261 calories. (I think I'd rather not see that number. I like to feel good about exercising, as opposed to thinking I just counteracted my whole workout with half of my lunch!)

Anyway, when I'm a little less tired I'm going to read up a little bit on cycling and cadence. I have a feeling it's like running, where sometimes you just need to go slow and get the miles in, and other times you have to do some "speedwork". But I really don't know. Any suggestions?

6 Comments:

Blogger Tillerman said...

Hey - take a day off - live slow and run fast.

Tuesday, January 31, 2006  
Blogger Cris said...

Pfft. Live fast and die young!

hahahahaha

Seriously, if you take to bike training and want someone who is about at your level to do the miles with, give me a shout; maybe we can meet in CP and do a couple loops together. I know as little about bike training as you...heh.

Tuesday, January 31, 2006  
Blogger Rae said...

Great job with the swimming! Are you starting to have the nice swimmers shoulders yet? I've always admired their upper bodies.

Wednesday, February 01, 2006  
Blogger ida said...

I've quit checking the "calories burned" option on Garmin, and I'm enjoying my runs so much more. Nothing worse than thinking you've really given it you all only to discover that you've only burned a mere 150 calories. That always takes me down a notch, so now I exist in ignorant bliss!

Wednesday, February 01, 2006  
Blogger Dawn - Pink Chick Tris said...

Ok, is it something in the air. Half the blogs I've read so far admit to being tired today. Actually the reason I'm here reading instead of swimming is cause I'm tired, too...lol.

Wednesday, February 01, 2006  
Blogger Neese said...

Hi Danny!

Thanks for stopping by my blog earlier, you just opened me up to the world of runner bloggers! I had no idea there are so many -- and I look forward to following yours! Marathon!? WOW! Way to go!

Neese

Wednesday, February 01, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home