Thursday, January 05, 2006

Greetings from Florida

On kind of a last second decision, I flew down to Florida this morning. I have some friends who live here in Hollywood, and I'm staying with them. I saw them about a month ago in New York, but it's always more relaxed down here in the sun.

Speaking of which, it was in the mid 70's today. I went for a run outdoors in shorts and a tech shirt. In January. I used my Garmin to guide me and ran for 3 miles in the neighborhood. Two of the miles were on a paved path going through a golf course. Maybe it's because Floridians consider 70 degrees to be winter, but there wasn't a single golfer on the course. The only guy I saw was some old dude in a golf cart who told me to get lost. "No jogging, swimming, or fishing" on the golf course. I don't have a lot of love for the "sport" of golf, or its golfers for that matter.

We went to North Miami Beach for dinner. On the way back I saw a banner on the side of the road for the Miami Marathon coming up. (Sorry, no picture. I was in a moving car.) It made me think of Rachel, who will be running that course in a few short weeks. Go, Rae!

My hosts have a pool in their backyard, but they say it's too cold to swim in the "winter". The pool is not heated, and this afternoon the water temperature was 72 degrees. It doesn't sound that cold, but I didn't feel like jumping in there alone. In my pool back in the Bronx, the temperature is in the 80's to keep the elderly patrons (and myself) happy. The next few days are going to be in the 60's here, so it won't be an issue.

I had hoped to run this race in Central Park this weekend, but instead I'll have to run the 5 miles myself. That also means I won't get a number to add to my new posterboard. There's another race in 2 weeks, but it's 10 miles and I'm definitely not ready for that. I can see that getting 9 races in is going to be tough...

Off to bed as I'm tired from traveling. I need to rest up for tomorrow's busy schedule of... hmm, what am I doing tomorrow?

Nice....
:-)

5 Comments:

Blogger Rae said...

Florida, I'm so jealous!! It sounds nice and warm as our weather is back to cold again!

You should fly back on a whim in a couple of weeks and cheer us RBF-ers on in Miami!!

Friday, January 06, 2006  
Blogger brent d. said...

Down in Florida? That's rough. =) You should stay down there until the Miami M. Then we can go eat Chinese food again.

Love the video! YOU, MY FRIEND, ARE A MUSICAL GENIUS!

Friday, January 06, 2006  
Blogger Cris said...

Don't sweat the nine. In the summer, you could do nine in two months flat. Besides, if you do the Fifth Ave Mile, then there's really only eight to have to worry about. There's lots of 4 and 5 milers, and nobody says you have to RUN the entire way.

Friday, January 06, 2006  
Blogger RunderWoman said...

Jealous you're in Fla! It's freeeezing here!

I'm working on my 9 races this year, too, but I'm not too concerned about them...I'm going to do the 2 4-milers in Feb, and hopefully by the time I get to the half-mara in August, it will be race #8, and then I can wrap it up with the 1-miler in Sept!

Saturday, January 07, 2006  
Blogger Jon (was) in Michigan said...

First of all, Hollywood is in California. You got on the wrong plane! I'm sure your friends are wondering where you are.

And second, you should have told that guy you weren't jogging, you were RUNNING. And then say you were chasing your dog that got away from you. And then ask him if he got his license at Sears and Robucks. And then dare him to get out of the cart and catch you.

No sense taking flack from a guy in a golf cart. Golf is for losers and ex-Presidents. :)

9 races? You're a madman. I was kinda hoping for 3. 4 was my stretch goal.

Saturday, January 07, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home