Monday, January 16, 2006

It's cold again

Thanks a lot Rachel, for sending the cold weather this way. This was the temperature as I was driving home last night. I was wearing a spring jacket 24 hours earlier. Ridiculous...


Anyway, I had a good swimming day yesterday. I felt like a made a breakthrough after all these Total Immersion drills I've been doing. The breathing was a little easier, and I could feel I was doing the drills more properly. (I still think that it's less of a workout than running or biking, but I'll leave that for now.)

I also put in some hard effort on the bike. Using the random setting, and a slightly higher level of resistance, I did 8 miles in just over 25 minutes. I cooled off with another mile over the next 5 or 6 minutes. Total calories burned: 248. How is that after 30 minutes of hard work, and sweating like crazy, I haven't even burned the calories I had for breakfast. (Consuming the calories: 30 seconds. Burning the calories: 30 minutes. This isn't fair!)

By the way, I'm mad at my roommate for buying these. (Even if they are "reduced fat".)


I've been telling myself that on a real bike it would be easier. In the gym I'm constantly cycling. In "real life" I'm thinking I could rest for short periods while the wheels kept spinning. Can anybody confirm whether this theory is true? (i.e. is 8 miles on the road easier than 8 miles in the gym?)

Another Monday, another "all you can eat" night. I'm going to have to stop this habit of mine if I ever get serious about getting back to "training weight".

7 Comments:

Blogger Marcus said...

I have never seen those satanic Devil Dogs again but they look mighty artery cloggin' and so evil. :)

Great site btw.

Monday, January 16, 2006  
Blogger Nancy Toby said...

Devil Dogs sounds like an appropriate name.

Monday, January 16, 2006  
Blogger Jon (was) in Michigan said...

Here's the test. Bring a magazine with you next time you ride the real bike. If you can read it easily, then maybe its easier than the gym bike. If you fall off the bike or crash into something, then its harder. :)

I'm thinking the balancing, hills, and mental effort makes real biking harder. You don't need to stand up in the saddle on a stationary bike, and the thing doesn't jump from side to side when you do.

Although, I haven't ridden a real bike in years.

Devil Dogs are total poison for your body. Each one sucks 20 seconds off your mile, and you never get it back.

Monday, January 16, 2006  
Blogger Rae said...

I'm digging wurkoutgurl's little dancing icon......

There's Devil in the name of those snack cakes for a reason! Stay far, far away!!!!!!

What's this about a roommate? I think this is the first we've ever heard of roommate.

How about I send some more rain? But it is a bit of a warm rain we're having tonight.

Monday, January 16, 2006  
Blogger *jeanne* said...

By the way...those REDUCED FAT items usually are worse for you than the regular fatty items of the same brand, They tend to have more sugar (ok, fair trade-off, I guess, if you aren't diabetic) but they have MUCH more "BAD" fats as opposed to "GOOD" fats. If ya gotta have fats (and you need SOME fat, just not as much as it's easy to get being an eater in the USA), you want them to be the "good" fats NOT the "bad" fats.

Tuesday, January 17, 2006  
Blogger Danny said...

thanks everyone for the "fats of life".

i would never buy those damn things. it's just when they're sitting in the kitchen that i have no self control...

Tuesday, January 17, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

DEFINITELY easier on a real bike...your theory is exactly right!

Saturday, January 21, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home