Sunday, February 05, 2006

40:00

Not that I focused on my time when I ran this morning, but it's kind of cool to end up with such a round number.

My shins hurt somewhat today, but not horrible. I don't know if it's related, but it just seemed hard to run. I started way in the back, and was really going slow in the beginning. As I've theorized in the past, it's possible that going that slow makes it even harder, but I was having a tough time over the first mile. Since I wasn't really concerned about my time, I stopped at a port-a-potty at the first mile. I didn't even notice the clock at the first mile. By mile 2 I was feeling better, again maybe because I was naturally going a little faster. Not fast, but closer to my normal training speed. I passed mile 2 at 22:17, net.

Then that thing that happens to me during races, seemed to happen again. I slowly picked up speed. I definitely was not pushing it; I was running comfortably. The third mile incorporated "Cat Hill" and while everyone slowed down, I just kept on going. I figured I hadn't really used that much energy because I'd been going slow. Turns out that mile went by in 9:12. I was surprised, but didn't change anything. I just kept going at what I thought was the same pace. Mile 4 ended up being another surprise: 8:31.

So that's my 4 mile version of a negative split. 22:17 for the first half (with a bathroom break), and 17:43 for the second half. A nice round 40:00 total.

Those last few laps make me wonder how fast I could run if I was trying. Though I wasn't feeling too good during that first mile, by the end I was pretty comfortable. I definitely didn't give it my all. (Truth is, I'm sure if I tried I'd probably screw it up, and end up walking the last half.)

Anyway, regarding the shins, thanks for all the comments. I've been stretching a lot more lately - as often as I can remember. I also took a few Motrin over the weekend, and that seemed to help. I guess I'll see how I feel over the next few days, but I won't be running much in any case. With the cycling and the swimming I've got plenty of crosstraining to keep me busy.

I'm happy to have one race done. The next one is a 4K (2.5M) in 2 weeks. It's a cross country course in the Bronx (my home borough!), so that should be interesting. I'm also happy that it's short, so I should be able to do it even with minimal running over the next few weeks.

I think I'll stretch again now.

8 Comments:

Blogger Cris said...

congrats on the good race

Sunday, February 05, 2006  
Blogger Dallen said...

With those very negative spllits you should be able to run much faster when you give it your all.

Sunday, February 05, 2006  
Blogger Bridges Runner said...

Nice job...and yeah nice round numbers are fun:)

Monday, February 06, 2006  
Blogger Rae said...

Way to go!! So was 40 your actual chip time? So crazy to have an even number like that!! What are the odds???

Great job with the race!! Will the next one be through grass and stuff? I've never done a Cross Country one, they look like so much fun!

Monday, February 06, 2006  
Blogger nyflygirl said...

good job!! nice negative splits. was a nice day yesterday!

Monday, February 06, 2006  
Blogger Jon (was) in Michigan said...

Nice race, Danny. Gotta love powering up the hill while the rest of the world is slowing down.

Tuesday, February 07, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HI!!! Nice to be back out there, huh? Take care!!!

Tuesday, February 07, 2006  
Blogger Darrell said...

Nice job on the race. Glad the shins held out. I almost hate to post my comment since I'll mess up the nice set of running people you got going on here.

Thursday, February 09, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home