Friday, February 03, 2006

Spring?

Thanks for permission to vent, everybody. With the weather we're having today, who wouldn't be in a good mood anyway?

I had a good swim workout today. 30 laps. I re-read parts of the Total Immersion book last night, and I focused on some things I wasn't doing right. It eneded up being a lot easier today. (Of course, I didn't do any cycling beforehand either.)

I'm still worried about my shins. I can really feel them walking around. (I'm wondering if my dress shoes are a problem?) It was exciting picking up my first number in 3 months from the Road Runners, but it was disturbing that it hurt to walk the 4 blocks to get there from my car.

We'll see how it goes on Sunday. I'm obviously not going to run hard, and if I'm in real pain I'll just walk.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

eeeck.. that IS disturbing. i'm sorry to hear about the shin issues. feel better danny!

(and your swimming is TOTALLY coming along!)

Friday, February 03, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I run 40 to 60 miles a week and I am 54. My shins hurt and I get 2 massages a week. I could not run as much as I do if I didn't get the massages and the advice from the massage therapists. After a run (over 5 miles) sit in a tub of cold water for 10-15 minutes. STRETCH. I stretch 3 times a day. Massage your ankles yourself. Use Ice and then heat (with castor oil wraps). Shoes are very important. Walk bare foot (socks) to help your feet. It's your
achilles tendon which is tight not your shins. The tendon goes from your knee to your foot.
Good luck.

Friday, February 03, 2006  
Blogger Rae said...

You're turning into a regular fish! Way to go!

Friday, February 03, 2006  
Blogger Jon (was) in Michigan said...

I can't remember if you talked about which kind of shin splints you had, on the outside edge or inside? I've had the posterior shin splints off and on. Stretching sometimes helps. Icing sometimes helps. Once I hyperextened my calves by standing on the edge of the stairs and that helped. Massgae helps. Rotating my ankles 20 times in each direction is the latest thing to help.

Nothing helps all the time. I wish I had a cure-all. I noticed that running on the trails instead of the dirt road may also be helping.

Hope the shins get better soon.

Sunday, February 05, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home