Tuesday, April 25, 2006

DNS

I've been busy at work (with interesting cases I can't tell you about), and I keep pushing off this post.

Unfortunately, this Sunday's race did not happen for me. I lost my cell phone on Friday, and since I was on call Sunday, I didn't feel comfortable being without a phone for so long. It would have taken a few hours to drive to the race, register, run the race, and drive back.

Of course in the end, I stayed home and didn't get paged once. But on the bright side, I "missed" running in this weather:


(Can you believe that 3,647 people finished the race in that weather?)

Whenever there's a big rainstorm, my landline seems to go out for 24 hours. (I report it, and then when it comes back, Verizon leaves me a message on my machine that the line is fine, and that it must be my fault. I hate them!) Anyway, with this rainstorm my phone was out from Saturday to Sunday. Even though I wasn't on call Saturday, I still got a patient overnight. My pager went off after midnight, when I was already in bed. Normally, that's not a problem. I just flip on the light, and dial from the phone right next to my bed. This time, I had to get out of bed, put on shoes and and a jacket, go outside and drive to a nearby gas station. I went to the payphone - in the still pouring rain - and it was just as dead my own phone! Fortunately, the guy behind the counter in the store let me use his cellphone. The first thing the resident said was "Sorry to bother you..." I don't think he realized how much of a bother it actually was!

Anyway, I still haven't found my cell phone, and I'm slowly coming to grips that I have to buy a new one. I just hate the whole 2 year commitment thing. (That's longer than some marriages!) I've been thinking of switching to Sprint. I keep getting wooed by all the fancy features. In the end I'll probably use none of them, but I think bluetooth and a camera would come in handy. The fact that I have to take my cell phone with me when I run, holds me back from getting something really cool like a Treo 650.

Oh, and for the record, I did go out and run those 4 miles yesterday. On the way out of the hospital one of the residents said she was going for a run. I was actually tired, but she inspired me, and I went out for a quick run before it got dark. It was a pretty good run actually.

The cycling and the swimming seem to have fallen by the wayside. I probably wouldn't care at all had I not spent the money on gym membership. Maybe I'll make my way over there again one of these days.

6 Comments:

Blogger Remco said...

For some reason I always like running in the rain. Don't know why. More oxygen? It feels fresh..?
Do't know, maybe it is just me..

Wednesday, April 26, 2006  
Blogger Rae said...

Bummer about the phone! We use Verizon and don't have any problems, I used to have Sprint and had terrible coverage! I love my camera phone, it's been so handy and I swear I thought I'd never use it. We got rid of our land line about two years ago and haven't missed it once. Our TiVo is wireless through our computer and we have a cable modem so who needs it??? Good luck with your new 2 yr commitment!!!! That's about 50 Hollywood marriages.

Wednesday, April 26, 2006  
Blogger Cris said...

We all have weeks where we have to be in a slump. No big deal; the zest will come back.

Good luck with the phone. I boiught a RAZR specifically to be able to run with it.

Wednesday, April 26, 2006  
Blogger Jon (was) in Michigan said...

Did you try calling the cell phone and see if you hear it in the house, or someone else answers?

Wednesday, April 26, 2006  
Blogger jeanne said...

Yeah, i use verizon and don't have any problems either, PLUS, no contract!! it's month to month, and i just fill it up with money whenever i need.

Of course, no one is really ever calling me to perform surgery. Well, not yet anyway.

Tuesday, May 02, 2006  
Blogger Afternoon Tea With Oranges said...

Go with the camera phone...I always think about how much better my blog could look if I could just pick up my phone and snap a pic anytime! BUT, my company pays for my cell phone so it's as basic as they come...and I'm too cheap to buy my own as long as they'll provide it.
Oh also - my sister just got one that is a camera phone AND an MP3 player AND you can purchase an arm band that goes with it and take it along on your runs....

Wednesday, May 03, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home