Sunday, May 07, 2006

Sunday running



After being lazy most of the week, I took advantage of the beautiful weather again, and went for a nice long run today. I had once planned on running the 10 mile Broad Street Run today, but I didn't think it was in the cards. Although I ran almost as far (8.4 miles) it really wasn't in racing conditions. I actually ran faster than I had planned to (about 9:30 miles) but I didn't push myself, and I took a 10 minute break halfway through.

During my run, somebody stopped to ask me directions. I'm usually really annoyed, but today I was only mildly annoyed, since there really wasn't anyone else on the path to ask. Funny thing is that as I'm answering her I realize she's one of my patients! I'm sure she never would have recognized me in my shorts and technical shirt, as opposed to the suit I'm usually in. I called her by name, and she figured it out. But I didn't stop to chat, as I didn't want to stop running. Small world.

About 5 minutes later, I raced to catch a light before it turned red. In the front car waiting at the perpindicular road was my barber. Another smile and wave. Really small world.

I know many of you in small towns don't think this is a big deal. But this is New York City! It just doesn't happen that much.

Anyway, I hope to get out there a few times this week. I'd like to get some "speedwork" in as well. (I put that in quotes because all I mean is running fast. I don't really go to a track and run set intervals or anything.) Next week is my first 5K in a while. My PR for that distance is pretty good (for me), and set a long time ago. I'm not sure I can beat it, but I'd like to see how close I can get.

2 Comments:

Blogger Rae said...

I think it really is a small world! I don't even remember the last race we went to and didn't meet SOMEONE from the RBF!

Monday, May 08, 2006  
Blogger Darrell said...

That's a nice bit of mileage. Give it all you got at the 5K and have fun!

Monday, May 08, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home