Monday, November 06, 2006

Marathon Sunday



I have always loved Marathon Sunday, even long before I ever planned to be a participant. I love the way it takes over the whole city, with millions of people cheering along the route, and with the thousands of marathoners walking (limping) around afterwards, wrapped in their heat sheets and wearing their medals.

And so yesterday, I had a pretty busy schedule. I had a circumcision in the morning (not my own), I had to make rounds at the hospital, I had to run 12 miles, and I had to watch the marathon. As you can imagine, I couldn't get all this done and still see the elites (or even Lance), but I did manage to get it all done and catch some of the marathon.

Because of the marathon, we planned our run along the West Side Highway. For a change we went north. As you can see on the map, we almost made it back to the Bronx before turning back for the second half.



I didn't have too much pain, but my legs just haven't felt strong. I don't really see how I can race in Philly. Just finishing doesn't hold the same excitement for me, but I'll be happy if I can get in under 2 hours (even if it's a PW).

I did speed up in yesterday's run towards the end, and although the motivating factor is just wanting it to be over, at least it meant I still had some strength left.


After our run, we headed over to watch the marathon. We found a spot near the 23rd mile. I remembered how crappy I felt there last year, and sympathized with the runners who looked like they were having trouble. (Most of the runners looked pretty strong; I found myself trying to rationalize that the weather was 20 degrees cooler this year!)

Here are some random pictures:

A lot of people who remembered that I ran last year, called me up this week to wish me luck. Even after the race, when I congratulated runners on finishing, they'd congratulate me back. (I wasn't sure if it was because I was wearing running clothes, or because I was limping!) Either way, I'm looking forward to competing again next year. As I get busier and busier at work, I'm not sure how I'll fit in the training. But I plan on doing it somehow.

5 Comments:

Blogger Darrell said...

Ah, the memories. A couple of people at work were surprised that I was there - "You're back already?" I guess once you've run NYC once, they figure you'll do it again. Maybe someday, but I've got 42 more states to go first. 8-)

Those are some pretty inspiring and fun pictures, Thanks.

Monday, November 06, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great Pics!

Tuesday, November 07, 2006  
Blogger E-Speed said...

wow great pics. I checked on number 49839 and he finished in 8 hours. Very impressive, and humbling.

Tuesday, November 07, 2006  
Blogger jeanne said...

nice pics, thanks! glad to hear that the um, circumcision thing was on someone else.

Friday, November 10, 2006  
Blogger Rae said...

Great pics!! I can't imagine wearing a wedding dress for a marathon!

Saturday, November 11, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home