Wednesday, October 25, 2006

More speedwork

9x400 today.

(I just love that picture!)

After such a good run this weekend, I was disappointed with yesterday's 5 miles. Maybe it's the mornings, but I really didn't enjoy it yesterday.

Today I had speedwork on the schedule. Unfortuantely, because of work responibilities, I couldn't run together with my running partners. Nonetheless, I made it out to the track.

According to Hal Higdon, I'm supposed to run these 400's at 5K or 10K pace. Using my 5K PR, I came up with 1:55 for the repeats. I tried to up it a touch, and was aiming for closer to 1:50. I also wanted to be able to jog in between the intervals, rather than walk like I did last time.

Here's how it went:

1:56 (seemed a little slow, let's speed it up)
1:40 (whoa, that was too fast)
1:49 (that's good, but i have to walk now anyway)
1:41 (too fast again. why is this so hard?)
1:51 (better. i can jog this next one)
1:50 (another good one - half walk, half jog)
1:50 (i think i've figured it out, but i'm tired already - walk)
1:52 (nice - jog)
1:49 (finished - walk and stretch)

So it took me a while to get the hang of it, but I was happy in the end. I was able to jog most of the "in-between" laps, and when I walked, I cut it down to 200 meters. One thing that surprised me was how hard this was. It could be that those early laps tired me out, but I think it would have been tough to keeep up the 1:50 pace for very long. Fortunately, that wasn't the goal today.

Tomorrow's an "off day", which is good, because I'm busy. Friday is scheduled for an easy run, followed by a 5 mile race this Sunday. I've been wanting to get my 5 mile PR in line with the others for a while, but somehow I doubt this will be the time. We'll see.

5 Comments:

Blogger tinablue87 said...

Good job Danny! So yea, I still haven't bought my five dollar watch yet-so sad.

For some reason I felt that this week at the track was harder than two weeks ago.

Thursday, October 26, 2006  
Blogger LeahC said...

love that pic! i think it's hard to stay consistant on speed work.

Thursday, October 26, 2006  
Blogger Darrell said...

The picture is really cool. Wow, good job for sticking out 9 laps worth. Running laps drives me crazy, I know the speedwork is necessary but I just can't get into it, good for you.

Thursday, October 26, 2006  
Blogger brent said...

that is an awesome picture. sounded like a good workout; i really have to figure out the speedwork thing so i can get in on the party.

Friday, October 27, 2006  
Blogger rivkayael said...

Hi Danny, thanks for the reply! Dropping by to say hi and de-lurk--how was the race?

Monday, October 30, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home