Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Still sick

I think I'm coughing less, but each time I cough it's like somebody's hitting me on the head with a baseball bat. Actually, it's more like I've got a pot on my head, and somone's hitting the pot. Then my head bangs around in the pot for 10 or 15 seconds each time. Either way, it sucks.

I spent most of the day at home, preparing for a presentation I'm giving tomorrow. I was healthy when I agreed to do this last week, but now it's been a pain putting it together. Thankfully, I'm done.

I did make it out for my 30 minute tempo run. I found it hard to gauge how hard I was working. I'm normally pretty good at feeling how hard I'm running. I think being sick is throwing that all off. My heart rate and respiratory rate are both elevated now, even while I'm just lying in bed! So while I was short of breath the whole run, I wasn't sure if it was from running, or from being sick.

As I upped the speed in the middle ten minutes, I did look over at the Garmin and saw the pace reading less than 8 min miles a few times. I guess I knew I was running fast, but it's usually not that accurate in the moment ot moment pace measurements. When I got home and loaded up the run into the computer, I was shocked.



Uh, a 7:21 pace? Kind of ridiculous for me. I think some of the measurements were off a bit, but I was definitely going fast. I think I ran about 3.5 miles in 30 minutes, giving me an overall pace under 9 minutes. So those middle ten minutes were definitely under 8. No wonder it was so hard!

While I was running, I was thinking how I had to run 13.1 miles this Sunday - and dreading it! Maybe if I was going a little slower, I would have felt different.

By the way, just out of curiosity I made some calculations using that 7:21 pace. Even if I kept up that pace for an entire marathon, I still wouldn't qualify for Boston. Although in a couple of years I'll get an extra 5 minutes, and then that pace would be fine. I suppose it's possible to work on my endurance and get there eventually, but it's not something I plan on doing. I'm just curious.

One more thing: my new 2nd generation iPod shuffle was delivered today. It's so cute. I'm too tired to post pictures now, but it's hard to really believe how small this thing is. I'll review it another time.

5 Comments:

Blogger Darrell said...

Man, that stinks that you got sick this week. Go give that half your best shot anyway. Good Luck.

Thursday, November 16, 2006  
Blogger Rhea said...

Take care of yourself! Methinks you should take a running break for a few days. I ran a 10K with a serious head cold, and within a half-hour of finishing, I felt 10X worse ...

Friday, November 17, 2006  
Blogger Rae said...

Good luck on Sunday!!! You're going to do GREAT!

Saturday, November 18, 2006  
Blogger RedheadFangirl said...

Can't wait for your RR on Philly. Glad that we could help by getting the packets. Was great to meet you!

Monday, November 20, 2006  
Blogger Cris said...

I think you DID run that fast; some of my own best runs have been when I was sick.

Get well soon, Danny.

Monday, November 20, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home