Sunday, July 15, 2007

Another week

A little cooler, but not much. I've tried to wake up early to get in my runs, and I've been partially successful. Here's a summary of my 3 runs this week.

Tuesday was speed work. The schedule called for 6 intervals of 400m. I forgot to look up the pace before I left my house, but I had a feeling it was around 1:45 (actually 1:43). I warmed up for about a mile, and then started my intervals, all with 1 minute rest between them.

1:29 (a little fast)
1:32 (slowing on purpose)
1:35 (this felt ok)
1:33 (ok)
1:32 (ok)
1:29 (well, it was the last one)

Maybe a little fast, but I felt ok. I cooled down for about another mile afterward.

Friday was my tempo run. I really hate these. Last week's was really tough, and I was just dreading this one. I was scheduled for 1 easy, 2 at 7:51, 1 easy, 2 at 7:51, and 1 easy. Here's how it turned out:



1 easy
1 7:31
1 7:26
1 easy
1 7:57
1 7:55
1 easy

I guess I ran the first tempo part a little too fast, and was kind of tired for the second part. But it was definitely better than last week's attempt. As much as I dreaded it beforehand, I felt pretty good about it afterwards.

Finally, today was my scheduled long run. 12 miles at 30 seconds above marathon pace. According to the tables that's 9:14 for me. (I don't really expect to run a marathon at an 8:44 pace, but I'm trying to stick to that for training.) I ran a new route today, or rather a lot further down an old route. (Mostly because I didn't feel like driving into the city and looking for a parking spot!)



My Garmin was all over the place, and I wasn't really sure what my pace was. Most of the time my pace was above 10:00, which didn't seem right because I felt I was going faster. In the second half it was dropping below 9:00, but it was varying so widely I didn't know whether to believe it. Once I was home, I uploaded the data, fixed up the GPS points, and ended up with this:



So as it turns out, I was below a 9 min pace for most of the run. (The average was 8:55.) The whole run I was thinking how there was no way I could maintain the pace they demanded, and it turns out I was doing alright. How about that?

My right knee started bothering me again about 7 miles in. Not horrible, but concerning as I head into marathon training. Although I've been running with increased intensity, I have limited it to 3 times a week, and I haven't been increasing my mileage too fast. (The last 6 weeks have been 16.68, 17.33, 21.56, 21.50, 20.36 and 23.32 miles.) I iced it when I got home. I guess I'll have to see how it goes.

While I'm on the topic of mileage, this Friday's run pushed me passed my total mileage for 2006. That's only halfway through this year, and it includes a sprained ankle! (You can see the details in the "my training log" section of the sidebar.) My weekly mileage isn't crazy, but I have been really consistent. I think it's because I was training for a spring marathon (that I didn't run), and now I'm gearing up for a fall marathon. Hopefully my knee will hang in there and I can keep up this consistency.

This coming week is officially the first week of my marathon training plan (also available in the sidebar), and I'm already going to be deviating. In order to get race number 9 in (for 2008 marathon entry!), I'm planning on running a 5K next Sunday. My thought is to count that as a tempo run, and run my long run on either Thursday or Friday. I don't think it's the best plan for my 5K, but the marathon is my primary goal now. I'll worry about setting 5K PR's over the winter.

4 Comments:

Blogger Darrell said...

They way you've been going lately, that 8:44 pace may not be as out of reach as you think. This was a nice solid week of training.

Sunday, July 15, 2007  
Blogger peter said...

That's your plan and and you're sticking to it, eh? Those are some nice runs and nice training times. I agree, use the 5K to build towards your higher purpose (the marathon). It's hard to do once you're swept up in the race but your runs show much discipline.

Wednesday, July 18, 2007  
Blogger jeanne said...

dang that's some good running.listen to coach peter, he knows. i too hate tempo runs.

in fact, I refuse to even use the "t" word (there are a lot of words in running I won't use, it turns out).

You done good! and congrats on passing 2006's mileage!
a stellar week!

Sunday, July 22, 2007  
Blogger AndyTheRunner said...

Looks like the training is going well keep up the good work.
Check out my blog sometime if you get bored. I am training for NYC marathon
http://andyroberts-running.blogspot.com/

Tuesday, August 14, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home