Monday, July 23, 2007

Week 1 Recap

Well, Sunday's race got canceled, so I ended up sticking to the official first week of training. For the record, I feel burnt out. I've been running well, but I often don't have the willpower to get out there. (It's not so bad once I'm running.) I've also started to feel some of those aches and pains - although not really too bad. This FIRST training program only has you running 3 times a week, but the runs are tough. By mile 4 they're expecting a 20 miler!

So anyway, this was the week in running:

Tuesday was scheduled for 3x1600m with a 1 min rest interval. The expected time was 7:19 for each interval. I ended up with:
7:24
7:23
7:09

I wanted to run that second one faster, but it was tough, knowing I still had the third one to go. It was also pretty hot. I meant to wake up really early, but I got up late, and paid the price.

Friday was tempo day. 2 miles easy, 2 miles at short tempo (7:51), and 2 miles easy.




Right on for the first one, and a little fast for the second one. But I felt ok, and was able to run the last 2 easy miles without too much stress.

Yesterday, was my long run. 13 miles at marathon pace + 30 seconds. (Supposedly 9:15.)



I started off really slow, but picked it up without even realizing it. At one point I felt I was running fast, and slowed down a bit. But looking at these splits, I probably picked it back up again. My average pace was 8:59.

My left plantar fascia bothered me at the end of the run yesterday. First time that's ever happened to me. I soaked a tennis ball and put it in the freezer. Guess it helps if I remember to take it out and use it on my foot! I'll try that today.

Tonight begins the 9th of Av, which is the saddest day on the Jewish calendar. Included in the laws is a 25 hour fast. So basically, today and tomorrow are forced rest days for me. Speedwork is planned for Wednesday.

2 Comments:

Blogger ShoreTurtle said...

Hi Dan. I'm nostalgic for week one. I just finished week 6 of the training. It will be fun to read as you experience the same joy/misery that I am going through. Good luck!

Monday, July 23, 2007  
Blogger Darrell said...

You do a great job with the tempo runs. When I try I always mess up the easy part.

Tuesday, July 24, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home