Monday, September 26, 2005

Forerunner update



So it turns out I only ran 14.7 miles. Which is kind of a bummer. Intellectually I know that 14.7 is the same as 15 as far my body's concerned, but it's still kind of annoying. Especially since I ran an extra 0.5 miles to "make sure" I reached 15. Oh well...

So here's the deal. The vast majority of points are accurate. However, several of the GPS data points are off. Maybe this was because I was in Manhattan, maybe it's because it was cloudy, but my my guess is that this will always happen to some degree. In any case, once this happens the device thinks I ran all the way to that incorrect point, and then back. Here's an example. (The blue lines are where it thinks I ran, and the yellow lines were put in by me.)



At first I was trying to plot out my actual route. Eventually I figured out how to use the SportTracks program, which is pretty amazing. I was able to delete various data points, and click and drag others, in order to end up with the finished route shown at the top of the post.

Incidentally, I came across this article today. Less than one week after getting my Forerunner, the first steps towards its eventual obsoleteness have been taken. Progress forever moving forward...

1 Comments:

Blogger Jon (was) in Michigan said...

I think my Forerunner has been off for most races and even measured running tracks. With trees, heavy clouds and big buldings, it just messes up points. For hills in the woods, its totally messed up. It thinks you have tunneled through hills if it doesn't get the altitude reading on the top of the hill.

The satellite sounds like its a good thing for GPS, or is it a type of GPS that Forerunner can't use?

Monday, September 26, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home