Tuesday, September 27, 2005

A bit too fast



I know to a lot of people these don't seem particularly fast, but I had a tough time out there today. Maybe it was the weather (sunny, mid to high 70's), and maybe I'm still tired from the weekend. But I think I went out a bit too fast. Usually I start out about 10 minutes a mile and then gradually get faster. You can see that my second mile here was 9:08. So I finished, and basically kept up the pace, but it was kind of tough.

A part of me wants to get in some speedwork. That's the same part of me that wants to finish the marathon in under 4 hours. I think I could do it. Having run 1:52 for the half (1:55 a few weeks ago), I think I could get close to 4:00 for the whole thing. But I also don't want to get injured. And I also want to finish. I figure that if I don't run my fastest time this time around, it will be easier to beat my PR next time!

So I've generally tried to run slower. I'll be happy if I finish the marathon with a 10 min/mile pace, or 4:22. (I'll be happy to finish no matter what, but that's my goal.) The main thing is to stay healthy over the next few weeks, and to cross that finish line on November 6th.

6 Comments:

Blogger Cris said...

Danny, that was an interesting post.

You've got to relax, tho, man. Leave your GPS and watch at home for the long runs, seriously, as long as your route is roughly mapped out. Stop worrying about time.

But, I have to admit I learned something today. I looked up your slower Half time of 1:55 in the tables of The Competitive Runner's Handbook. According to that, you stand a good chance of a sub-4 marathon (3:50)

Tuesday, September 27, 2005  
Blogger Danny said...

When I'm running I don't really worry about the time. I basically just run how I feel comfortable. I actually don't have my current pace showing on my Forerunner, although I do occasionally check to see how fast I'm going. I think it's more about interest and fascination, rather than obsession about running a certain speed. I certainly don't speed up based on what I see on my watch.

I wonder if today, maybe I should have realized I was going too fast, and slowed down.

As for my time, I'm pretty certain I can get under 4 hours. But on my first marathon, I don't want to take a chance that I'll tire too soon and not be able to finish. I'll worry more about my time on the next one.

Tuesday, September 27, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Never try to run slower. Its unnatural. That is my only advice.

I vaguely remember Bill Rogers saying something a long time ago about how much running a "slow" marathon (for him probably about 3 hrs) hurt.

Tuesday, September 27, 2005  
Blogger Danny said...

oldlobo:

I think I know what you mean. When I was coming back from injury I was trying to run slower than normal. I felt my stride was unnatural, and hurt more than normal.

However, there is a certain pace for your weekend long run, a faster pace for a marathon race, and an even faster pace for a 5K. So I think it is possible to run too fast for a particular run.

Tuesday, September 27, 2005  
Blogger KJ said...

That's fast times for me :)

Wednesday, September 28, 2005  
Blogger April Anne said...

great post. i loved the last paragraph. i'm sure you will do great on race day!!

Thursday, September 29, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home