Thursday, October 27, 2005

Deviation

The holidays are finally over. I feel like I've eaten enough food to gain 100 pounds, so I guess I should be happy to have stayed about the same with all the running. (Oh, and thanks to all those people trying to convince me that it's muscle...)

During the holidays I spent a lot of time in dress shoes, which is really not good for my legs. Although I feel better today in sneakers, they're still bothering me. Particularly the inner aspect of my left shin. It's not really pain, more of a nagging sensation. If I wouldn't be running a marathon I wouldn't be worried. It's more like I'm stressing out about what this pain means. Does it mean that I won't be able to finish the race without excruciating pain in the second half? (See Jon's and Alejandra's race reports.)

Last night, after the holiday ended, I went for a run. According to my schedule, I was supposed to run 6 miles. I could have done it, but I've become worried that I'm not giving my legs enough rest during this taper. I also feel a little sick, with my throat hurting me since yesterday. I'm sure this is the start of some horrible virus. I just hope that there's enough time for me to feel 100% by November 6th.

For the last few months, I've been using a modified Hal Higdon novice schedule. Because of my earlier trouble with shin splints I decided to only run 3 times a week. I also never really got around to cross training. So I'd run his long weekend run on Sunday. Then I'd run his relatively longer weekday run on either Tuesday or Wednesday, and his medium run on Thursday or Friday. I cut out the short run, and the weekend crosstraining.

Using this schedule, I peaked at 35 miles (10,5,20) the week before last. This past week I ran 25 miles (8,5,12). I'm supposed to run 18 miles (6,4,8) this week, but it seems too much. The 12 from Sunday were pretty tough, and the 6's and 8's still seem like hard work to my legs. (Even if they are described as "an easy 6".) So last night I ran 4 miles, and not too fast either. I may or may not run 4 tomorrow. This will depend on both how my legs feel, and whether I get really sick. Then Sunday, I hope to run 6 miles in Central Park, where the marathon finishes. Next week probably 2 on Tuesday, and maybe some walking on Thursday. I'm hoping that this new schedule will give my legs some time to rest, but not let me get too out of running.

I'm sorry to torture you all with these details, but I must admit that I'm pretty nervous deviating from the schedule. I know it's supposed to be a guide, and you should listen to your body, yada yada yada. But no matter what, I'm nervous not following "Uncle Hal's" plan right through to the finish. He seems to know what he's doing, and I'm just kind of guessing. My natural instict is to force myself to stick to the plan no matter what, but I've become increasingly worried that without enough of a rest I'm really going to have problems on race day. Anybody have any thoughts on this issue??

(By the way, have you guys seen the countdown timer in my sidebar? The "days" number is in single digits!!)

10 Comments:

Blogger Nancy Toby said...

"Uncle Hal" Higdon. Heh. For some reason that brings to mind "Uncle Joe" Stalin. Anyway, you're going to do great. I've slacked horribly since Baltimore, so I hope I remember how to do this ... it's left, right, left, right, correct?

Thursday, October 27, 2005  
Blogger ShoreTurtle said...

I'm not a marathoner, but I play one on tv--actually, I can't pretend to know what I'm talking about since I've only run a half-marathon. With that disclaimer, I say that this late in the game it's more important for you to be ready mentally & physically (injury free and sort of rested) than it is to follow the last week to a T. If you were saying that you wanted to run more than prescribed, that would be a problem. Cutting the run short because you're not feeling well is a good thing. I just realized today that I will be running a 10K in Philly the day of your marathon. I'll be thinking of you during my (short) race. Good luck with the tapering....

Thursday, October 27, 2005  
Blogger E-Speed said...

I think most people start to get sick during taper. Just make sure you are eating well and getting plenty of sleep! Let your legs determine how much to run during taper, if you feel bad you probably do need more rest!

Thursday, October 27, 2005  
Blogger Cris said...

...and would you RELAX already?? You've done 20, you're gonna do 26.2; and that's all there is to it.

Rest up, stay loose, eat well, and I'll see you out on the course somewhere.

Thursday, October 27, 2005  
Blogger Louis said...

You'll be fine! Enjoy it.

Thursday, October 27, 2005  
Blogger Dawn - Pink Chick Tris said...

Good luck and most of all have fun with it.

Heh, a marathon is just a 10k with a real long warm up at the beginning. :-)

Thursday, October 27, 2005  
Blogger Rae said...

I can't believe your M is so close!! I think you've done a great job training and you should just listen to your body. Take it easy, get a ton of rest, and start the race with fresh legs!! And enjoy it!!!

Thursday, October 27, 2005  
Blogger brent said...

from talking to lots of people during my training in the real world and in blogland, i came to the conclusion that some people need more taper and some do better with less. i think whatever your gut feelng is during taper is probably exactly what you should do. it'll all work out, you'll make it to the end!

Thursday, October 27, 2005  
Blogger D said...

Wow - your marathon is close. AT this point, it is more important to stay on the positive side because any mental stress and worry about the marathon is only going to impair you. Say the following over and over for the next 8 days...."I have trained hard. I am prepared. I will kick butt!"

Can't wait to hear about your awesome marathon.

Friday, October 28, 2005  
Blogger Jason said...

Your counter is down to 8 days! I don't know how you are feeling, but I felt horrible the entire week before the marathon. I was just completely exhausted every day. But the day of the marathon I felt fine. I think it was just nerves. Hopefully your taper is more enjoyable than mine was.

Friday, October 28, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home