Thursday, September 22, 2005

Bodyglide 101

Today I learned the difference between this bodyglide and this bodyglide. This was the first time I bought the stuff, and although I saw something about soothing muscles on the package, I just figured I had some extra features in mine. I've only had a problem with chafing once, but with 15 miles planned for this weekend I thought I might be running into problems again. Today was supposed to be a trial run. Good thing. I put the stuff on, and it didn't really feel too slippery. So I put a little more on. It still didn't seem to feel like it was doing anything, but hey, what do I know.

About 2 minutes later, my armpits started to get warm. Then they got really warm. Like "ouch" warm. At this point, I realized something was wrong. I tried to get as much of it off as possible, and then put some regular deodorant on afterwards. At least that felt good.

Long story short, I need the other bodyglide. I'm not sure what I'll do with this WarmFX one. (Does anybody use this ever?)

Fascinating stuff, eh?

My run today was otherwise pretty good. I had to go to a circumcision this morning, so I couldn't do my run early in the morning. By the time I was running it was in the 80's and it felt pretty hot. I figured I had it better than the baby, so I'm not going to complain.

I got in my 7 miles with no real pain. Actually, during my 6th mile I felt some little twinges just below my right knee, but they were gone by the next mile. Either that, or I was paying too much attention to the Forerunner by then.

Speaking of which, I think I still need to work out some of the details. After looking at Tuesday's data, I changed the "data smoothing" setting to "most". I think that affected the forerunner in a negative way. Even by the first mile the mileage seemed to be less than I expected. My splits were also not as expected.

At the end of the run I somehow still ended up with 7 miles I expected. When I uploaded the information, I noticed a couple of "blips" in the GPS data. There are definitely a bunch of trees along my route, but I didn't have this problem on the first run. I think (hope) it's the smoothing.

Here's the map I get from Garmin's software, as well as the splits.



I also checked out ZoneFive's software, as suggested by Flatman. It is pretty cool software, and it's particularly nice that you can import the data to Google Earth. Here's the resulting image, as well as the splits according to them.



You can see that the mileage is somewhat increased as compared with Garmin's software, 7.27 miles vs 7.04. I'm not quite sure how to reconcile this difference. (I think I might be able to "fix" the GPS data on the ZoneFive software, but I'm not home right now to check.)

If anyone has any words of wisdom on how to tweak the forerunner 201 into better accuracy I'd appreciate hearing them.

Hopefully, my next run will be the longest of my life. I can't wait.

6 Comments:

Blogger Running Chick said...

I had no idea bodyglide came in different types...sorry you had to learn that lesson for me! But thanks for sharing!

To answer your questions on my post...I say, whatever works for you, food-wise, is a good thing. There are lots of runners who don't use gels and such. So stick with what works for now and adjust as necessary. (and again, I learned something new about gels not being kosher...good info.)

The little 'my running' chart came from jeff over at breakingthetape.com. He's like a genius. =)

Thursday, September 22, 2005  
Blogger D said...

Aren't you glad you didn't try that other bodyglide during your marathon! Ugh!

Run Strong!!

Friday, September 23, 2005  
Blogger Danny said...

some 8 day old boy. (his daddy's a friend of mine.) ;-)

Friday, September 23, 2005  
Blogger About Me: said...

interesting about bodyglide...
have a fantastic run tomorrow! i so loved the feelings of all my 'firsts.' runs of course. i remember my first 10, my first 14, my first 18 like they were yesterday. savor it!

Friday, September 23, 2005  
Blogger Scott in Washington said...

Good job Danny!

Last time I checked your blog, you were running 5-6 miles on your long runs and just getting started. Now you're headed out for a 15 miler. Great work!

Maybe that heatFX stuff would be good for a sore/strained muscle? I've never used any of that stuff myself but I remember guys in high school stinking of it.

Saturday, September 24, 2005  
Blogger KJ said...

I noticed our local triathlete shop had several different types of Body Glide, the owner recommended the regular one for me-good thing!
Maybe the heat one is meant for winter running ;-)

Sunday, September 25, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home