Friday, October 28, 2005

Taper Madness

Well I really appreciate all the comments. It's good to see that I'm not the only runner who hasn't felt good during the taper.

I didn't run today. I guess when it says to get "plenty of rest", that doesn't mean "take overnight call". I ended up being up most of last night, a good portion of it on my feet in the operating room. So needless to say, my legs (particularly the left) , did not feel better today. I also didn't feel well altogether. I was really tired and had to take a nap. That sore throat has progressed into a constant dry irritation, but hasn't turned into a full fledged "cold". I hope it's not one of these sore throats that hangs around forever. Oops, positive attitude right? I always did have trouble with that...

Although I kind of planned to cancel today's run, I still can't feel perfectly comfortable with it. I definitely feel my body telling me not to run today. But I'm pretty sure my body told me not to run 12,15, or 18 miles every Sunday! In the past I've had to conquer these thoughts by forcing myself to stick to the schedule. Now that I'm giving into these thoughts, and overlooking the schedule, it makes me feel a little weak. Nonetheless, I still feel like I'm doing the right thing... (I know it's confusing. I'm pretty sure I'm doing the right thing - I just wish my body wasn't telling me not to run.)

Hopefully by Sunday I'll be feeling a lot better. I definitely feel like I should get in 6 or 8 on Sunday. If I can feel good by then, it will really be a big boost.

I'll keep you all posted. Until then, have a great weekend!

4 Comments:

Blogger E-Speed said...

Hope you feel better.

And regular rest is important too. So overnighting it is not good! You definitely have every right to take today off running.

Sunday, October 30, 2005  
Blogger nyflygirl said...

hey, thanks for clearing things up on my blog :-)

happy final taper week...one week to go, can you FEEL the excitement? :-D

Sunday, October 30, 2005  
Blogger Louis said...

Are you picturing yourself running across the 59th Street Bridge, with the rumble and music of Manhattan getting closer with every step?

Hope you had a good weekend.

Monday, October 31, 2005  
Blogger Michelle said...

I NEVER feel good during a taper. it's mentally tough and my body always wants to just be completely done with running. The good news is that you will be fine and will get a lot more energy from resting than from pushing too hard. You really can't lose any fitness at this point. If you did all the long runs, you are ready.

Tuesday, November 01, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home