Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Hold the phone...

Ok, maybe I'm not really better yet.

During the day yesterday, I felt pretty good. Then the night came. Ouch. I couldn't stop coughing. I felt like I was up the whole night, and this morning did not feel good at all. Now I'm a little better. (Maybe it's a good thing the marathon will start about 6 hours after I wake up!)

I still don't feel my chest bothering me, and I'm not having fevers or coughing up phlegm. It's really all in my head and throat. So I don't need antibiotics, but I did go out and get cough syrup. There's about a thousand different things to choose from, but I just wanted a cough suppressant. So I got the cheapest and simplest thing: CVS Tussin, with Dextromethorphan (Robitussin DM). I'm pretty sure I haven't had any cough syrup in at least 20 years. What's amazing to me is that with all the technology that's improved in the world, they haven't come up with a way to change the taste of cough syrup. I felt like I was 10 years old again, drinking the cough syrup out of that little plastic shot glass. (BTW, in the time it's taken me to edit this post, and answer all the phone calls and emails, I've realized it hasn't worked!)

Anyway, I also got some CVS version of Tylenol PM, which is basically Tylenol and Benadryl. I'm not big into pills, but I may try this tonight so that my coughing doesn't keep me up.

One other thing I bought was Vitamin Water. I probably won't even drink the stuff (I'd rather waste my calories on food!), but I liked the bottle. It has a wide mouthed opening, which might come in handy right before the marathon. (If you can't figure that out, see here.)

So what's with the weather?? It's now looking like the temperature will get to 70 degrees!! That's kind of hot. Doesn't anybody realize it's Novemeber here???



(Hopefully that "chance of rain" can hold off until nighttime!)

Tomorrow I'll be heading to the expo. (It's open for the next three days, but with all my excitement I just have to go already!) You have to go there to pick up your number. I'm sure that's all designed to sucker you into buying stuff there, and I'm sure I'll be one of those suckers. I'm just a little uncomfortable buying "finisher" memoribilia before having actually run the race. Any thoughts on that?

7 Comments:

Blogger Beanie said...

Yah, can't believe those temps creeping up :o(

It's ok to buy, just don't wear until you've actually finished :o)

I'll be cheering you on from the LIC water station! GOOD LUCK!

Wednesday, November 02, 2005  
Blogger Bridges Runner said...

Yeah this happened last year too:( So annoying...hopefully the temps can creep down...even just a bit!

As for buying, as yvonne mentions, no wearing of the stuff until after. You should get a few things for yourself...it's all about the experience:)

Good luck, have fun and I'll be cheering up in Harlem at 114th and 1st ave with the Reservoir Dogs (my team)!

Wednesday, November 02, 2005  
Blogger Nancy Toby said...

Can you get to the after-race sale? I can't, but that sounds like a good place for finisher gear! I've got to buy a couple presents at the expo...

GOOD LUCK!!!!!!

Wednesday, November 02, 2005  
Blogger Jon (was) in Michigan said...

Seems to me I bought a Robitussin cough suppressant in a pill form at Meijer. Little red things. Just suppressant though, no expectorant with it.

Hope that yucky stuff clears up quickly here.

Thursday, November 03, 2005  
Blogger Louis said...

It's changed again! Partly cloudy, high 69. I'm so glad to see I'm not the only one who obsesses.

Definitely buy yourself a few things. You've earned them, right?

Thursday, November 03, 2005  
Blogger LeahC said...

I was a total sucker at the chicago expo. We went the day they opened, in the early afternoon. we both bought gym bags that had the chicago marathon little symbol on it, and we got a pint glass with the same thing on it.

Hope you feel better soon too!

Thursday, November 03, 2005  
Blogger a.maria said...

ok you TOTALLY have to buy. because after the marathon, the last thing on your mind will be leaving the house to walk anywhere to stand in line to buy anything.

but beforehand. wear after. its all very simple really (do you like how all the girls have commented on this?!heh. love it.)

anyway... i'm sending you get better vibes. and temperature goodness vibes. and good luck vibes and..

alright already. good vibes. i'm sending good vibes!

Thursday, November 03, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home