Tuesday, November 01, 2005

I think I'm getting better

First of all, thanks for all the support in the comments. I appreciate all the "virtual spectators" and all the advice. Traffic to the site has increased lately (now over 2000 served), and maybe that has to do with the proximity of the race. Excitement is definitely building...

As for my little cold, I'm still coughing a little, but my throat's feeling a little better. I don't feel bad overall, and it's definitely not getting worse. So I think I'll be alright.

I went out for a nice easy run today. I ran 4 miles, but kept the pace down to 10 - 10:30 min miles. I didn't have any pain, but I could feel little twinges in my legs here and there. I was thinking of doing another little mini run on Thursday (I need 1.4 miles to end up with a nice round 365), but I think I'll be better off just resting. 5 days seems a bit long to go without running, but I think the more rest I get the better. I worry about being "rusty" when the race starts, but 1) I'm not sure what that really means, and 2) I worry about a lot of things! I'm sure that once I get going I'll be okay.

I've made a few comments about finishing times. Let me say it here: A sub 4 hour finish is a dream goal. I don't think it's a good idea to shoot for it, but I'd be happy if it sort of happens. 4:22, or a 10 min pace, is my real goal. I would be happy just to finish, but I don't think I'd be satisfied walking in the last 10 miles. I recognize that finishing a marathon in any fashion is an accomplishment, but I've done all these months of training in order to actually run the marathon.

I think my plan of attack will be to start slowly on the bridge and not try to fight traffic too much. Then in the first half I'll try and run easy, at what feels like a comfortable pace, without too much strain. (I figure that will be 9:30 - 10 min miles.) Then as I move into the second half, I'll assess how I'm feeling. If I feel like I've been holding back, I'll try and pick up the pace a little. I'll never run as fast as I feel I can, because I've never gone more than 20 in training, and I know have to save some energy for that "wall".

Anyway, you can see that with this strategy, I'm unlikely to end up with a sub 4 hour performance by accident. I think that's a good idea, but I just need a little time to get used to it.

Continuing with my forecast checking, there are conflicting reports as to whether there will be showers. It definitely (if anything is definite!) seems like the weather will be on the warm side, in the upper 60's.



By the way, I'm really feeling that "taper madness". I've long been obsessed with the marathon, but lately it's reaching record heights. It's hard to do anything else. Heck, it's hard to think about anything else! I can't believe it's less than 5 days away. I'll be at the Expo in 2 days!

Wow.

8 Comments:

Blogger E-Speed said...

I got really obssessed the last week before Columbus. Totally normal! You are going to do great! You put the time in and the miles. The race is just the big bonus at the end of it all!

Tuesday, November 01, 2005  
Blogger Unknown said...

Keep up the awesome work! Your blog helps keep my motivated for my marathon (no pressure!) ;)
LJB

Tuesday, November 01, 2005  
Blogger R.E.M. Borja said...

Rest definitely helps. Getting in that extra run before the marathon isn't going to help much, and in fact may hurt you more. There's nothing like feeling fresh the day of the race. You've done all you can do, and your body knows what it has to do.

Relax, don't do it. =)

Wednesday, November 02, 2005  
Blogger Mia said...

I can definatley relate to wanting to run the marathon. *Just* finishing a marathon sounds very unappealing to me - as you said, you trained hard all these months so that you can run your race and be as competitive as you can be with the preparation that you have...

Again, good luck! I'm not even running the marathon and yet I'm very excited about it!!

Wednesday, November 02, 2005  
Blogger Louis said...

National Weather Service forecast for Sunday: partly cloudy; high near 65.

No rain! No rain! No rain!

See you out there somewhere. Good luck!

Wednesday, November 02, 2005  
Blogger UltraMamaC said...

Rest, eat, drink. Be merry. Very soon you will be one of us!

And don't let your goals get in the way of savoring the race experience -- if you fall off pace for whatever reason, or have to walk, crawl, drag yourself across the line, hold your head high and cross that finish with a smile on your face, regardless of what that clock says. You never get another first time, but you'll have *many* more chances to meet your goals -- trust me, this damn hobby is addicting!

Wednesday, November 02, 2005  
Blogger Bridges Runner said...

Tapering good. It did my body good last weekend, and I think it will do the same for you this weekend:) See you out there....I'll be along the course up in Harlem!

Wednesday, November 02, 2005  
Blogger jeanne said...

GOOD LUCK!! I can so relate to the goal of "just finishing," which believe me, everyone told me should be my only goal. It wasn't.

Hey, thanks for the comment, glad I got a tear or two outta you!

You are going to kick this marathon's ass, I can feel it! Rest up so your strong and healthy. I recommend miso soup.

Wednesday, November 02, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home