Tuesday, November 29, 2005

I'm working on it

I forgot I had to do something for work yesterday and so I didn't make it out to the gym. But I did stretch, and I did lift weights at home. It's funny how when I don't lift for a few months or so, it seems easier when I get back. I picked up the weights yesterday, with the same weight on them since the last time I used them, and was able to do 2 sets of all my old exercises. No problem. It's almost as if the resting makes it easier. But when it comes to running, if you don't run for 2 months, forget about it! Running 1 mile after that kind of a break can leave you trying to catch your breath for an hour. I guess your heart gets out of shape faster than your biceps...

Anyway, I'm on call today, so another forced rest day. I'll try the gym thing again tomorrow and see if I can't get into some type of bike or elliptical routine. A few people have told me that they had similar problems and it got better with time and rest. So that's encouraging.

I'm still not sure what exactly is the problem with my knee. When I don't run it feels totally fine. A few months back, when I was having shin problems, I would have pain just walking around. Now, I feel totally fine unless I run. No problems with walking, or stairs. Even when I run it seems to only kick in after a mile or so. I posted a question on Cool Runnings and a few suggestions have come back. (Yeah, yeah, yeah, see a doctor... I know!)

Rae, thanks for noticing the new header. I'm sure other people noticed, I was just surprised nobody had commented. (After the marathon a lot of people commented on how I had to change the name. This particular suggestion came from both TryAthlete and Triathamom.) Thanks also for the (dis)honorable mention in the BRPTT rundown.

Ok, back to work...

9 Comments:

Blogger Oldman said...

found your blog...nice.

you mentioned your knee problem, have you looked at your shoes? perhaps it is time to get fitted by a pro and get some shoes that fit meet your needs ie over pronation, mid-foot plant, etc.

Tuesday, November 29, 2005  
Blogger Danny said...

thanks.

i think my shoes are pretty good. i bought them at a specialty store, so a pro should have fitted me. of course in the past i had more motion control shoes, and now i have cushioned shoes (Nimbus VII). i think i have mid to high arches, and a pretty neutral gait, so i'm probably in the right shoe now. they feel pretty good.

i got a 2nd pair before the marathon, which still have less than 100 miles on them. (the first pair are at about 250 miles.) so i think the shoes aren't the problem.

one of these days i'm going to get my running videotaped just to see exactly what's going on. maybe i'll even post it here...

Tuesday, November 29, 2005  
Blogger Jon (was) in Michigan said...

Definately a good idea to videotape yourself running. Get the camera and head out to the track. It doesn't have to be a pretty video, just enough to see yourself moving, from the side, from behind, and straight on.

Hope the legs get back on track again. I noticed running the first time after the race, I had residual shin soreness even though it was weeks past. It worked itself out. Phantom pains.

Tuesday, November 29, 2005  
Blogger E-Speed said...

good job on the weights. I noticed the header, I have just been having a hard time getting around to comment on everyones blogs. I have become a lurker. oh no.

Wednesday, November 30, 2005  
Blogger jeanne said...

Oh yeah, running is a master. No time off allowed.

Knees...quads? Anyway that's what my doc said. Strengthen those quads.

File under suggestion #2,568

Wednesday, November 30, 2005  
Blogger Rae said...

Hey, at least you try to run and that's more than most Americans do! Anyone who gives an effort is certainly not dishonorable!!

Wednesday, November 30, 2005  
Blogger tryathlete said...

Ah, Danny. Look forward to reading about the next 26.2!

Saturday, December 03, 2005  
Blogger Dawn - Pink Chick Tris said...

I noticed and thought the change was perfect. Sorry I forgot to mention it, me bad.

So have we set a date for the next one yet???

Sunday, December 04, 2005  
Blogger Bridges Runner said...

Thanks Danny for a great rundown:) Amazing to see so much going on even after all the marathon hoopla is over in the northeast!

Wednesday, December 07, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home