Thursday, November 03, 2005

NYCM Expo



Look what I've got it in my hot little hands. Wow!

I went to the expo today, and it was pretty unbelievable. I had planned to do all these things beforehand, but when I got there I was pretty much overwhelmed. I ended up just walking around in circles.

As predicted, I did pick up a few things. Fortunately, all the running clothes, socks, shoes, etc. were not priced any cheaper than usual. At least, I didn't feel pressured into buying those things. I did get the most expensive "bib frame" to keep my bib, medal, and picture all together. It was a little cheaper to get it today, but you can still cancel for two weeks. (Until I realized that I was a little uncomfortable ordering this before the race.)

I also bought some throwaway paper pants and jacket. They were $7 each, with another $2 for gloves. Considering all the money I'm spending or have already spent, it's worth it for the convenience. (Even if I will look like some sort of nuclear waste janitor before the race.)

I met Deena Kastor at the expo. I was pretty surprised to find out how big a fan of this blog she was! Ok, I'm just kidding, but it was kind of cool to meet her anyway. She's pretty small.


A lot of people have commented that the weather now says partly cloudy. Those thunderstorms? Completely disappeared off the forecast. (Although, the National Weather Service still says 40% chance of rain.) Which basically goes to show you that these forecasts are completely useless. (I always wondered why TV stations always hired "meteorologists", when they can get an equally inaccurate forecast by checking weather.com!) Nonetheless I keep checking...



I'm still coughing, but I think a little less. I'm definitely getting tired from it, and my abdominal muscles are starting to hurt. (I now try to push in on my abs before coughing, in order to lessen the strain.) I really haven't done much this week, and I hope that I'll feel better with another 2 days of rest. I'm not happy about this cough, but there's really nothing more I can do about it.

Meanwhile, the starting line gets closer and closer. I'm both nervous and excited. As I get more comfortable with the idea that I'm not going to finish in 4 hours, I get less nervous. I think 4:22 is a reasonable goal for me, and I shouldn't struggle that much to get there. Of course with warm weather, a cold, and this being my first marathon, I really have no idea. But I'm optimistic.

Less than 3 days to go...

18 Comments:

Blogger R.E.M. Borja said...

that's a huge number! Memorize it. You'll be looking up your result online over and over again as if pinching yourself that you actually have done what you did. You'll also show it to others who most likely won't care all that much, but you know how big an achievement it will be.

Now we're getting ahead of ourselves, but you've done the work, so that's all there is. Kick ass.

Thursday, November 03, 2005  
Blogger Rae said...

I'm so excited for you!! I've got my TiVo set to record the marathon and I'll be watching for that number. What are yo going to wear? Good luck and have an AMAZING time!

Thursday, November 03, 2005  
Blogger brent said...

closer and closer man! awesome! thats cool that you got to meet kastor.

Thursday, November 03, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i can't believe you are holding your abs a certain way to eliminate pain from coughing :) i find that really funny!

well, good luck! my dad has what we call his "shrine" (wall frame of marathon stuff) from his first marathon and my mom made (bought) me one too for my stuff.

enjoy!!! good luck!! go earn the stuff to put in the shrine!!!

Thursday, November 03, 2005  
Blogger Unknown said...

Good luck this weekend. I have to admit that I am jealous that you got to meet Deena Kastor. I am a huge fan.

Thursday, November 03, 2005  
Blogger a.maria said...

you're gunna do awesome, no doubt. as soon as your out there running, you'll forget all about the cough, the abs, etc... there'll be so much to soak up!

you're gunna have such a good time! eeeee! so exciting!

Thursday, November 03, 2005  
Blogger Danny said...

hey, look at all these comments!

for some reason, these didn't get emailed to me like they usually do, so i can't respond personally. but thanks a lot for all the encouragement!!

now back to resting...

;-)

Friday, November 04, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Marathons are 90% mental toughness, the rest is in your head!
Good Luck. I am sure you will do just fine.

Friday, November 04, 2005  
Blogger Jason said...

Everyone gets sick the week before the marathon, I think. The stress of it all seems to kill the immune system. However, it also seems to always be better on the day of the marathon.

Go Go Race Day Magic!!

Anyway, I certainly hope your cough is better on race day. I expect it will not be a problem.

Congrats on making it to the end of training. Good Luck on Sunday!

Friday, November 04, 2005  
Blogger :) said...

You are going to do great! Good luck, man!

Friday, November 04, 2005  
Blogger Nancy Toby said...

You're going to do great! You'll be recovered and rested by Sunday!

I'll be there! I'll be wearing my bright yellow visor, so if you see anyone like that at the start, say hello!

GOOD LUCK!

RAIN, RAIN, GO AWAY!

Friday, November 04, 2005  
Blogger Louis said...

If we all concentrate hard enough, we can make those rain clouds hold off until at least Sunday night.

Right now, it's beautiful in NY. Can't wait until Sunday.

Good luck out there.

Friday, November 04, 2005  
Blogger E-Speed said...

Awesome! You are going to run so well!

Friday, November 04, 2005  
Blogger LeahC said...

That totally rocks that you got to meet Deena, I am so jealous. Good Luck this weekend and you won't even be thinking of your cough during the race because there is so much going.

So exciting!

Friday, November 04, 2005  
Blogger Jon (was) in Michigan said...

Danny, that is so cool you met Deena Kastor. Totally jealous! You did tell her I said hi right?

Good luck in the race, man. I think its going to be a great day for you no matter what the weather is.

Friday, November 04, 2005  
Blogger mouse said...

I have yet to run a marathon where I DIDN'T feel sick before it, so I agree with Jason. I'm sure you'll be feeling great on race day!

GOOD LUCK!

Friday, November 04, 2005  
Blogger nyflygirl said...

i too got Deena's autograph at the expo. How cool was that? :-)

Friday, November 04, 2005  
Blogger Michelle said...

I am so jealous that you met Deena Kastor! She wasn't at the expo when I was there. She is my hero for sure. Very cool.

Monday, November 07, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home