Wednesday, December 14, 2005

It's cold out there

It's 21 degrees, but it feels like 10. (Almost makes me look forward to 45 and rainy on Friday!)

After my running success the other day, I went shopping for new winter running clothes yesterday. Whatever it takes to keep the momentum going. I got a new compression type shirt, as well as some new running pants. One pair was more like a wind pants type, while the other one was more the compression type material. (Without being like tights. Not that there's anything wrong with that, Brent. I'm just not ready yet.) I also got a new running jacket. I'm like a walking (running) billboard for Champion C9 clothes!

(You know, looking up these links makes me realize I've overpaid for these items! Maybe I should return them and order everything online. Anyway... )

I wore the new jacket, a hat, and gloves. (I see a lot of people take self portraits like this. I think my arms are too short to get a whole body shot in. But you get the picture.) And it was still cold. I did warm up a little over time, but 2 miles (20 minutes) isn't really a lot of time to warm up.

Ok, I recognize this isn't Canada or Cleveland for that matter. But it's certainly not Hawaii and it's pretty cold outside. I'm always amazed that no matter how bad it is out there, there is always some other lunatic running. As I was thinking about how cold it is, I passed by a guy running in a warmup suit. No jacket, no hat, and no gloves. No problem. Amazing...

Thankfully, the run was essentially pain free. By that I mean that my knee didn't bother me. I did feel parts of me freezing, and little twinges from my shin, but nothing that's a real problem.

However, my right big toe has been bothering me as of late. I feel it all the time, and running didn't seem to make a difference. I don't remember dropping anything on it (a la Flatman), or banging it anywhere, it just feels that way. I examined it a little more closely today, and when I push down on the toenail it really hurts exquisitely. It doesn't look any different. (Just so I can call this an "offical"" running blog, I've posted the obligatory foot shot. I did resize the image so that if you click on it you don't get huge toes in your face. Gross.) So this pain's a little strange. For now I plan to treat it like I treat all of my other little aches and pains: with tincture of time.

Well anyway, there you have it. From head to toe. (Sorry, couldn't resist.)

5 Comments:

Blogger brent d. said...

I have a bunch of C9 stuff! A LOT! and I think I have the pants you just bought. I think it's pretty good stuff. Maybe one day you'll work up to the tights... one day...

Wednesday, December 14, 2005  
Blogger Rae said...

It takes me at least two miles to warm up, so I don't think it's strange that you're still chilled. Around mile 3 I start to realize I'm really not going to end up with frostbite and everything will be OK. I'd die without my gloves, I don't see how some of the crazies run without them!!!!!

You never know, if you try out the superhero tights you might pick up a new chick or two! =)

Wednesday, December 14, 2005  
Blogger Darrell said...

Hey Danny, been following your blog since before NYC Marathon. I really like the new header and glad that nothing is hurting at the moment.

Thursday, December 15, 2005  
Blogger Unknown said...

way to go, running in the cold. I don't know if I could run if I lived in a cold climate. kudos to you
LJB

Thursday, December 15, 2005  
Blogger jeanne said...

AH, that's the secret of motivating yourself--new clothese!!! Thanks for telling!
(Cute toes. Hope your big one heals up fast.)

Saturday, December 17, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home