Wednesday, December 07, 2005

I thought I was, but I wasn't

Yesterday, after a week off, I went out for a run. Yes, it was freezing cold, but that seemed easier than going to a new gym for a trial period. So I put on my compression tech shirt that I had bought for the winter. As I stepped out the door I still felt too cold, so I put on an old jacket on top of it. (Probably a good thing, as I felt a little self conscious wearing such tight clothing.) I was still cold out there, but I managed to gt a mile in without any problems. I walked home without any limping, and felt pretty good about myself.

The original plan had been to try again tomorrow. But this morning, I was asked if I could take call tomorrow. So I figured I'd try another short run today, and rest tomorrow.

Once again, I got all geared up. It's 31 degrees here, which doesn't sound so low, but it's pretty freaking cold out there. I noticed that one direction was worse than the other, so I think the wind plays a big part as well. Either way, it's hard to believe it was in the single digits last year, and will probably still get closer to that this year.

At the same time, I've been meaning to take my car in for months to get this brake light looked at. I just never had time to leave my car at the shop. So today, I planned to drive to the shop, and run back home. Turns out, the whole problem was that I was low on brake fluid, and the problem was fixed in 2 minutes. (Kind of surprising, since I got suckered into a $200 bill at Jiffy Lube just a few months ago. "Top off all your fluids" my butt!!) Anyway, my mechanic didn't charge me, but now I had to drive home. I knew if I went inside there was a good chance the heat inside would exert it's gravitational pull on me and I wouldn't make it back outside to run. (What? You never heard of the Law of Exercise in the Winter: Heat = Gravity!!) So I pocketed my car keys, and headed straight out to my usual running path.

For the first mile and a half I was so excited, thinking how the time off had cured everything, and I was all better. Then at mile 1.7 my knee sent me a little reminder that it was still there. I probably should have just stopped, but it was so cold, and I wanted to get back already. I finished up the remaining few minutes and walked home. It hurt a little, but not as bad as it has in the past. And now that I'm home, after icing and stretching, I still feel it when I walk, but not that much.

So I think I'm getting better, but I'm not there yet.

I think I'll rest the next few days again, and maybe try again Sunday. I think Audrey had a good idea, with sticking to short runs. I considered 2 miles short in the past, but if 1 is the most I can run comfortably, than maybe I should stop there. For now.

I still have to work on the crosstraining thing. I'm doing the weightlifting, and the stretching when I remember. But some more cardio stuff would probably help for later.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you can't tell from my post I am self-conscious about some of the the tight winter running clothing too! (And as a chic I am probably more used to tighter clothing in general than guys.) i TOTALLY get how it would take some getting used to. Try it out in the dark :)

And I am glad you are making progress on the knee front. You ARE making progress :) Feel better!

Wednesday, December 07, 2005  
Blogger Cris said...

Hey, nice pic; new isn't it?

Thursday, December 08, 2005  
Blogger Jon (was) in Michigan said...

Nothing like a run in cold weather to make you sorry you are a runner. :) Thank goodness for knees that know when you want to head home. I have a few of those myself. It is kinda funny how a few miles seems so far now, when just a month or two ago, you'd be breathing a sigh of relief to only have 5 on the schedule.

And I have the feeling that Audrey has no need to be self conscious in lycra. Just a guess. :)

Thursday, December 08, 2005  
Blogger D said...

I like the new profile photo - that is so funny...the moving eyes!

Hopefully your knee issues will get better soon. Nice rundown by the way!

Thursday, December 08, 2005  
Blogger brent d. said...

it's crazy that you never pay attention to how cold it is until you become "a runner". that sucks about your knee but just hang in there. just take it a mile at a time.

and congratulations on your new pic, it looks like you're getting good reactions. NOW! BIGGER AND BETTER! the competition is on! =)

Friday, December 09, 2005  
Blogger Danny said...

yeah for anyone who didn't already know, the animated picture idea was totally stolen from brent... (i left a comment on his blog)

brent: i have a few other ideas, but the 50K limit is a killer. but we'll see... ;-)

Friday, December 09, 2005  
Blogger ShoreTurtle said...

Hey Danny. That guy Brent totally stole your idea for having an animated picture. I saw your photo the other day, but didn't see it move until I saw one of your comments on another blog. Very cool.

Friday, December 09, 2005  
Blogger Oldman said...

i hate running in the cold! btw neat pic...

Friday, December 09, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ackkk!@ your picture blinks and makes faces at me. it's freaking me out! (how'd you do that??)

Friday, December 09, 2005  
Blogger KJ said...

Hee hee, funny face blog pics...cool!
You have a car in NYC? What's the parking situation like?

Saturday, December 10, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home